Login Window pops up Integrated Windows Auth

• 22 November 2006
  • 7 replies

Badge +5
I'm trying to open up my process via browser remotely and it's prompting for my username/password credentials. Yet from the server it doesn't prompt for it. Under IIS the Site is Integrated Windows Auth and Anonymous is unchecked.

Also in the web.config of the site impersonation is true and authentication mode is "windows"

Any idea what's wrong?

7 replies

Badge +11
Probably remote machine IE settings.

Make sure the site is added under 'Trusted Sites' on your remote machine. Also, under Advanced Internet Options, make sure 'Enable Integrated Windows Authentication (requires restart)' is checked.

HTH,
Ockert
Badge +5
Thanks - it seems like in order to add the trusted site you need to have https? Also, 'Enable Integrated Windows Authentication' is already checked. Any other ideas?
Badge +11
No, just un-check the 'Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone'

This will allow you to add the site to Trusted sites.

Regards,
Ockert
Badge +5
Thanks - just tried it and didnt' work.

It's funny - I try logging in with valid credentials and it doesn't allow me access.

I'm on two different computers... one did have this problem and now it works out of the blue (didn't modify any settings)

The other prompts for a login and given valid credentials it just keeps prompting.
Badge +11
Make sure that 'Authenticated Users' has got 'Modify' permissions on 'C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv1.1.4322Temporary ASP.NET Files'.

Also, make sure that you've done the 'DisableLoopbackCheck' registry change descibed in KB#98.

Regards,
Ockert
Badge +5
Yes, both are done but still get the login window.

it doesn't happen on the server but remote machines do.
Badge +10
Even though this is an old posting I would like to give my input here as this is a common error experienced by many people.

Generally, if you receive the three authentication prompts from a remote machine but not from the local machine it is because your Application Pool is running under a "Configurable" user account and all the K2.net components are on one server. (K2.net Server + K2.net Workspace)

To solve this switch the application pool to use "Network Service" or "Local System" and to follow the steps explained in KB article 98. (as posted in a previous reply).

Also verify that the web site's NTAuthenticationProviders setting is set to "NTLM" only.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

JohanL