Update 1-3 Records on List B based on Status field in List A

• 3 January 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I am attempting to use a Nintex workflow to update the status field in List B based on the status of a field in List A. The common link between the two lists is Unique ID (List A) and PAS ID (List B).

List B can have 1-3 records with the same ID as List A, and I only want to select those 1-3 records and change the status, plus one other field.

After reviewing several different solutions, I tried using Query List (setting Collection Variables), For Each Loops, and Update Multiple Items; however, the result is that it is updating all items on the list rather than updating just the match on the IDs between the two lists.

I see several posts with similar questions, but I am not able to locate the exact solution for this particular question.

Any suggestions would be most appreciative.

I am using SharePoint 2010 with Nintex Workflow version Version: 2.4.9.0.

Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi there:

So a status change in List A should be your trigger. It should grab the Unique Identifier from the item it was triggered by.

Next, you're correct, Query List B to find any records with the same Unique Identifier, and place their actual SP ID in a collection (collListID)

Next, use a "For Each", and pull collListID into a List ID variable - "idList" for example - then use "Update Item" to filter to that list ID in List B and update your fields.

If you're doing it this way, there should be no way to update anything except the Unique ID matches. The only thing I can think of is it that you have no filter on your Query List.

Badge +1

Thank you for the prompt response. Much appreciated!

Actually, attached is the workflow for review, since it will probably shed light on what I am talking about. I made some changes.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi there - 

I took a look at your workflow but unfortunately I can only see the actions and not the configurations since I don't have the same lists / libraries. 

What does the condition do? 

For me, I would have the workflow conditionally start on modification -- 'if status changes' (if status X is no longer equal to previous status) -- and then jump right into your Query of List B, get your coll, and cycle through it just as you are.