What permissions are needed for Flexi Task

• 21 June 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge +9

I have a SharePoint 2013 Enterprise Site.  If I run a Assign Flexi Task it seems that when a user receives the email and opens the Link for the Task Action the ability to Accept or Reject is grayed out.  I assume they need Permissions at the SITE level to Accept/Reject a Assign Flexi Task.  This appears to be the only way they can approve.  It seems the Assign Flexi Task does not reference the permissions at the Library level which is where I have unique permissions (Contribute) and from where the Workflow is kicked off.

My dilemma is I do not want all people to have Edit access at the site level (again not sure what permissions is required at the site level- assuming it is at minimum Contribute).  How do I allow users to respond to an Assign Flexi Task and not open the entire site to Contribute permissions.

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi David,

I think the problem here is not the permission on the item your workflow runs on but it is lacking edit permissions to the workflow task list.

If you give only read permission on site level your workflow task list will inherit these permissions, making recipients only able to read but not finish their tasks.

So at a first step I'd give contribute permission to everyone on the workflow task lists and see if it helps.

To answer the other question: as long as they don't need to update the item they could theoretically go with read permissions on the workflow context item itself. They must have permissions to the task list.

Depending on your item count it might be an alternative to give contribute access to everyone on site level but have single item permissions on your workflow items list. Using this approach your users will be able to finish their tasks too but only see the workflow context items related to them.

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +9

I will give that a try.  I had no idea that the Workflow Task List is what controlled the ability to be able to select Approve/Reject.  It makes sense tho..Let me try and I will reply...

Badge +9

Ok, I gave him Contrubute and Even Edit permission on the list called Workflow Tasks.  It did not work sad.png  If he trys to open the link he cant even open it; he gets the error message.."Sorry..."  As soon as I change his permission at the Site Level to Contribute he can open the link and select "Approve"

I am starting to get concerned that I can not use Flexi Task as I do not want to give users Contribute access at the Site level.  I suppose I could move the list to a sub-site but that would be overkill

Any suggestions ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

With the current permission level you will also face the same problem with other task types as well. Could you open your workflow and go to workflow settings and check that it uses the workflow task list you mentioned? Maybe it uses a different list.

Also if you get the correlation ID from the "Sorry" screen and scan the ULS log in SharePoint the underlying error might tell you what resource is causing problems.

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +9

Oddly enough it now works.  I discovered that this particular persons permissions was getting wiped out from the document folder which has unique permissions.  I know previously in the Workflow I was changing his permission within the Assign FlexiTask under item permissions.  I know for a fact I removed any item permissions from being set within the FlexiTask about a week ago.  Thus, when I ran into my issue described above earlier in the week I did not even bother to review his permissions within the doc library.  I am only guessing that earlier in the week when a workflow that was still in progress and initiated last week got completed this week it changed the item permissions and thus the unique permissions.  I am only guessing that somehow this sequence of events somehow removed the unique permissions found within the document library for his id.

I'm glad its working, but any idea if a workflow can somehow remove unique permissions within a document library ?  His was the only ID removed from the Unique permissions.  It seems like this has happened twice now...My hope is now that I have removed item permissions that things will run as normal...Normal defined as the user has read permission at the site level; Contribute permission at the document library and the Workflow Task list.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hey David,

the workflow won't remove any unique permissions by accident. Usually this is done by two actions:

set item permissions having the remove existing permissions ticked

204904_pastedImage_1.png

or task actions, that remove actions after the action has completed:

204932_pastedImage_2.png

Could any of these two be the cause in your scenario?

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +9

I would say that 1 of those 2 scenarios is quite likely...thx

Badge +6

Hi

I have a similar situation.  The approval emails were working perfectly from the Assign Flexi task until I edited the form with Nintex Workflows.  Now, the users who could access the Task form get the Sorry message when they attempt to respond to the task.  Before I added their permissions to the site they could not even open the task form, now they can but it is bringing up the sorry there is an error message.  Is it something to do with the task form being changed to a Nintex form