SmartObject Error

• 19 March 2009
  • 9 replies

Badge +5
I have 1 top-level site collection with various site collections below it. I have everything up & running on the site collections below the top one, but now I have a list on the top-level site collection that I want to use as a smartobject. When I click on SmartObject Service Management on the top-level site collection, I get "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." Help!

9 replies

Badge +8

Couple of things to check:

• Verify through central admin that the SmartObject service integration feature is activated for the top level site.
  • Are you getting errors for the other options on the K2 Site Settings page (K2 Management, Events Integration Management, etc)?
  • Are there any errors in the event viewer or the K2 server logs?

-Eric

Badge +5

Eric,

1. The smartobject service integration feature is definitely activated (I reactivated it about a dozen times just to see if it would work with "one more try").

2. No, Events Integration, Workflow Integration, etc seem to be working just fine.

3.  I've attached a log file. No relevant warnings in Event Viewer other than - K2 SharePoint Web Services "Warning received while executing the following method: GetWorkflowDataGetWorkflowData: Start" which has always popped up every few minutes.

Badge +8

Hi Ryan,

Are there any errors in the K2 Log?  The log you uploaded seems to be an IIS log.  I am just wondering if there is a K2 error being recorded somewhere.

-Eric

Badge +5

Eric,

Attached is the K2 log. Don't see any errors.

Badge +8

Hi Ryan,

If you haven't already I would log a formal support ticket on this issue.  I am not certain what is going on here.  There does not seem to be any issues in the log file.  My guess is that something is not properly deployed to the SharePoint site.

-Eric

Badge +4

Hi,

have you found any solution for your problem?

amanax

Badge
Hi,

have you found any solution for your problem?

p
Badge +2

I'm running into the EXACT same issue on one of my site collections.  I've been working with K2 Support to resolve this but so far no fix as of yet.  One thing that I did try was to deploy K2 to another site collection in the same farm and it worked fine.

So far, I've deduced that the lists wihitn the site themselves have a great deal of influence if SmartObjects work at all on a given site.  One issue I ran into was trying to create SmartObjects for a site that had a list that had a lookup column to a list that was defined at the top of the collection - if I changed the lookup to a local location the SmartObjects seem to work.

Badge
icon-quote.gifJasonT:

So far, I've deduced that the lists wihitn the site themselves have a great deal of influence if SmartObjects work at all on a given site.  One issue I ran into was trying to create SmartObjects for a site that had a list that had a lookup column to a list that was defined at the top of the collection - if I changed the lookup to a local location the SmartObjects seem to work.

Hi JasonT - and thanks! That fixed my "Value does not fall within the
expected range." issue.

p