cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

Copy a document from one library to another

There appears to be many flavors for what I would assume to be a fairly simple task. Before I make this more complex than necessary, here is what I am trying to do.

We have a source document library where we want to start a workflow from the menu that:

1. Copies the file to a target document library in the same site

2. Checks it out in the target document library to the person who initiated the workflow in the source library

3. Updates a Status field in the target document library

Thanks in advance.

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Copy a document from one library to another

I guess the simplest version of that Workflow would look something like this, I am however getting an error at Check In that I'm still trying to resolve but this should get you started. 

Document copied to Library 2, status field updated and checked out to User that started the Workflow on Library 1:

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Thanks, Chantel! This is working. For my purposes, I don't need to check out/check in the file in the source library.

Also, the fields I have populated in the source library that have matching field names in the target library are automatically updating as needed. #winning

Last issue is that I want to populate a Person/Group field in the target library with the person who initiated the workflow in the source library. I tried this:

which generated this error:

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

I tested with my Project Manager field in Destination library to show name, then in Update item use Initiator's display name instead of Initiator, worked fine. 

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Thanks, Chantel. It's not you, it's me. My target PM field was wrong. All is well now. Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply