SharePoint List Item ID

• 30 June 2008
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

Can anyone offer best practice for dealing with List Item IDs in SharePoint? If I want to 'Get a List Item' there are two wizards available, the SharePoint List Items wizard and the SharePoint Search wizard.

The List Items wizard wants an Item ID to find a specific list item from a list. What I'm missing on the returning metadata are values in several columns based on calculations, as well as some of the underlying metadata such as CreatedBy. Most of the other columns return data so I'm not sure if I'm missing something, or if there is a technical reason behind BlackPearl not returning these values.

The Search Items wizard does not appear to let me search by Item ID. It looks like I would have to search on a field such as Title which may not always be unique.

So to narrow this down to a single question, what tricks are others using to return list item meta data columns, such as calculated columns and base columns (ie CreatedBy) given a specific Item ID?

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Not sure I can offer a best practice so much as how to get your created by information for which you are searching. You can create a SmartObject that leverages the SharePoint Service. In doing so, your list has methods exposed that allow you perform various tasks. In this case, you would want the "load" or "Get List" methods. The load method requires an ID as it is a single method and requires a key value. The "Get List" method lets you specify other search criteria other than the unique id.

The screen shot below shows an example of all the information that is returned by the SharePoint Service for use in a Smart Object. You will notice that "Created by" is one of the items returned.

HTH

14159iF074D6F313A7F7B3.jpg