Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ElNinto
Nintex Newbie

Copy Item to another list triggers workflow on that item

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have a workflow, which is started on new item and edit item.

At the end of that workflow I copy the current item to another list (archive).

Unfortunately after the item is copied the workflow is triggered again. It then runs on the item in the archive although the archive does not even have a workflow.

Is there a way to prevent this? I already tried to do it with a status field and conditional start, but that still did not prevent the worklow from beeing triggered when the element is copied.

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Copy Item to another list triggers workflow on that item

Jump to solution

What actions are you performing in the action before copying it? There is something in the workflow that is editing the current item and thus triggering the workflow to run again.

The copy item action wouldn't trigger that since its creating a new item, so there is something else there causing this to happen.

0 Kudos
ElNinto
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Thank you for the quick answer.

Yes, the workflow changes some fields, but that was not an issue before I added the copy item part.

The workflow worked perfectly until I put this in, now it is always trigerred twice

edit: I just found the answer by myself: I saved the original list as template and used that template to generate the archive list. Somehow this seems to be an issue. I built the archive new from scratch and now it works as intended.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Interesting. Yes because you were using a copy of the list, the workflows could have been triggering on the archive list based on some hidden metadata on the list that was captured in the workflow bindings. Not exactly sure, but I've seen that happen on-prem before with the workflow engine. 

A fresh list does help in this case. Glad you got it resolved.

0 Kudos