cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Copy Form In Same List

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to copy all the data of a form into a new form within the same list. An example would be somebody filling out a form but needing to input almost all the same information as a previously saved form. They could maybe open the originally saved similar form and essentially Save As to create a new form, change what needs changed, and save it as a new form in the same list.

Is there a workflow that can be triggered manually (preferably by a button) to create this new form while retaining the original information, while allowing the information to be changed? Thanks.

Labels: (3)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Copy Form In Same List

Hi Justin,

I do something similar, in that I have a workflow that effectively clones the original item. It is set to run from the elipsis (...) menu on the item that you wish to clone. All you need to do is set the "Enable workflow to start from the item menu" in the workflow settings. My workflow has one action and that is the "Create item" action whichduplicates all the required item detail. Of course this requires that akll the form detail is located in the List columns, but there would be ways of capturing the formdata from the original item if this was not the case with you.

Alternatively, you could have a button (or checkbox) on your original item form that would trigger a cloning within your original item workflow, triggered on a modified item.

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

I think you're looking for something similar to this Auto-populate form field based on data in list , have a look there see if it helps.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Hi Justin.

Below is the concept i have done for a client before.

1. Have a Copy Button on the form, which is connected to a "Form Status" choice field. On click, this would set the Form Status to "Copied"

2. Have a workflow that starts conditionally on "Form Status =Copied" ,in the workflow you Create a new item with same data from the the source form and set the Form Status of that copied form to "New".

3. Optional: If you want to redirect user straight into the newly copied form, you can set the Copy button to redirect to the default "All Items" view page. On the All Items view page, put some jquery in a hidden content editor web part. Jquery in on document ready function, check the whole form list for any item that has Form Status = New. Construct the item edit form url and redirect to the new form.

Regards

Thomas

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

HI Thomas

Did you create custom JS on the button on the form?

Also can this be achieved without a workflow?

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Hi Danielle.

I didnt put any custom js on the button, it was wired to "Save and submit" action type if I remember correctly. (sorry three years ago now  )  There is a property which allows you to bind the button to a list field. I bound it to the Form Status text field.

I am sure this can be achieved in just javascript without any workflow using the same concept.

Accept as Solution Reply