Store form lookup values in a SharePoint list and use in State Machine workflow

• 14 September 2016
  • 6 replies

Badge +4

I'm using SharePoint and Nintex 2010.  I've created a form with cascading drop downs (Facility and Dept).  Now I need to do 2 things with this.  The first is store the Facility value in the SharePoint list - this will help with grouping the list data.  The second is to use the Facility value in the workflow to determine which State Machine to use.  I've tried various things to make this work.  But I'm obviously going about it the wrong way.  Can someone please guide me?

6 replies

Badge +16

if you need to store them why don't you just have them as lookup columns in your list as opposed to disconnected controls on your form?

Badge +16

this post might help:

https://community.nintex.com/community/build-your-own/blog/2016/08/16/dealing-with-cascading-lookups-in-nintex-forms

Badge +4

Hi Cassy,

To my knowledge, using cascading lookups on the SharePoint site requires some javascript or SharePoint Designer.  We're not able to use either in our SharePoint environment. . .  

I read the post you supplied and that's exactly how we've set up the lookups within the Nintex form.

If there's other ways to accomplish having cascading lookups that can be pushed to the list and can be used to start a workflow, I'll all ears!

Badge +16

So on your list itself add two columns

first column type lookup called "facility" and point it to your facility list

second column type lookup called "dept" and point it to your dept list

customise your list form with Nintex form (after you've added the columns). Then access the second lookup (the one that should be filtered) and configure it to filter by the other one as I have done in my post.

i am on mobile and unable to do any screenshots but that way your facility and dept data will save back to the list too and you can use it in your workflow happy.png 

Badge +4

Awesome Cassy!  Adding references in my original list to the lookups was the fix.   It solved the issue of grouping my list content by one of the lookups.  And I could easily pull the information into the workflow.  Thanks!

Badge +16

That's fantastic news!!

can you mark the answer as correct to close out the thread please? happy.png