cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Convert Document action incomplete

The convert document action will create the PDF but the action stays in incomplete status and the workflow will not advance.

Has anyone seen this before?

The action was working correctly, but then stopped a few weeks later.

There were no settings changed or system updates made that would affect this.

any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

We are using Nintex 2.3.1.10.0  and SP14.0.7123.5000

Labels: (2)
19 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Convert Document action incomplete

There could be some information related to this in the SharePoint ULS logs at the time the action runs.

Other than that, the Convert Document relies on Microsoft Word Services. Make sure the service is running, and possibly use the service outside a workflow to confirm it is fully functional.

Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

I haven't found anything useful in the ULS logs.   I will run another test and dig in the logs more.

it looks like Word automation services is running correctly.  It presents  correctly in Central Admin.  The workflow creates the PDF correctly,  the Nintex workflow just doesn't continue after the pdf is created. 

This was working in our environment a few weeks ago and then suddenly after a few weeks stopped.  The only changes were a few Micrsoft updates. Are there any specific actions that we should take on Nintex after such updates?

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Let's rule out that it is not the Workflow Timer service running on App Server issue. More info https://community.nintex.com/message/2361?sr=search&searchId=8aa473b7-f452-4185-81a4-c9e2c94d0973&se...

One way to rule that out is to create a separate workflow that has a couple of actions. A log to history list as first action, log a note, then Pause for 5 minutes, and another log to history list action following. Does this workflow complete correctly and history shows? If not then you know the issue.

Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

We are definitely having issues with the Pause workflow action.

So to fix we need to detach the schedule job from CA and re-attach to a content web application and follow the instructions in the post marked correct answer in the link above?

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

It has some good information on it. But what is your farm like. Is it a tiered approach (WFE, APP, SQL)? If so, you could simply run the Windows Foundation Workflow Timer Server just on the WFE and turn off on the App server. Otherwise, follow the instructions in the post.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

We have 4WFEs and 3 APP.   What would you recommend?

Do you think a upgrade of the Nintex Workflow would help? We are a few minor versions behind the current.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

If you have 4WFE's I would recommend that the Workflow Timer Service (From services on server in CA) but turned OFF on all APP servers and ON for WFE's.

Then test with the pause workflow again. You do not need to iisreset after the changes. Just run the workflow.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

We turned off the timer service on the App servers and the pause to is still not working correctly.

It hangs and the workflow history shows incomplete under end instead of a time and it does not advance.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

There can be many variables in play at this point. But I believe this is still your issue. There is much to review that I can suggest.

• Make sure the workflow service is stopped on app servers
  • Make sure the workflow service is started on WFE servers
  • Make sure the SharePoint Timer service is running on each WFE server
  • Make sure the WFE service is running on WFE role servers
  • I always have the WFE service off on App servers, but that is up to you and your configuration (like dedicated search box or something else)
  • Make sure the dll's for Nintex are on each WFE and appropriate 15 hive files in place
  • You probably have a load balancer, make sure it is only going to WFE servers
  • Run the uninstall and install of the Nintex timer job as explained in the other post.
  • Make sure the Nintex features are deployed and activated where appropriate (Web app, Site, and Web)
0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply