How do I upload a excel file into a Sharepoint list with a Site Workflow?

• 14 August 2014
  • 8 replies

Badge +7

Hi all,

We have employee data living in SAP and SAP by default export data to .CSV or .XLS.  I would like to refresh a SharePoint list on a daily basis with new employees.  How would I do this with the Nintex Workflow in SharePoint?

Kind Regards,

Francois Crous

8 replies

Badge

I created one recently following these instructions (keep his site handy):  Nintex Workflow - Parse CSV and Create a List - Vadim Tabakman

He even includes an export of the workflow that you can import in.  I created an "Import" document library & added his workflow there.  The export I have uses an employee number so that I could always find the same employee and update their record with any changes (like a name change).  If it doesn't find the ID, then it adds a new record.

I also added in a step at the end to delete any item that hasn't been modified recently.  This way, if they aren't in the import, they will get removed from the list.

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

My first question would be, are the documents you want to move into SharePoint already exported to some other location? What is that location, is it desktop, local share? I assume the best solution would be to automate a document move directly from SAP, correct?

Badge +7

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply.  SAP can put the file for me somewhere on a server.  I will have to pick it up with SharePoint/Nintex and then load the data into a SharePoint list.

Badge +7

Thanks Robb for the reply.

I will have to try this.  The only step missing would be to load/move the file into a document library.  Is there a simple way of doing that?

Badge

I'm having someone download it and upload it to sharepoint.  I'm not sure if the file can be grabbed using Nintex.  There is probably a powershell command to do the upload.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I believe you can use the SharePoint web service copy.asmx to upload from a server. Then use the Nintex Web Service action to call it.

Badge +7

Thanks guys for the reply.  I will have to use a combination of your answers to get the job done.

I'll use the Sharepoint Copy webservice (@AndrewGlasser) and then the workflow (@RobDawson)

Nintex Workflow - Parse CSV and Create a List - Vadim Tabakman

Badge +1

Hello Robb,

I know this is a pretty old thread, but how do you complete the last part of your workflow? "If it doesn't find the ID, then it adds a new record."

I've tried a few things and it doesn't seem to like it. Thank you very much for any help!