Accessing SQL data

• 27 July 2009
  • 1 reply

Badge +4

Hey guys.

What's the best way for me to access data on another SQL server for use in workflow?

Basic situation: We use a custom application to maintain manager heirarchy information (associates' managers aren't reliably accurate or present in Active Directory).  A user's manager is one of the columns in a simple SQL database on another server.

In a process I'm developing, I need the second activity in the workflow to have a destination of the submitter's manager.  I can get the submitter information by using Process Originator data...

But how can I set up a SmartObject that reads from a simple SQL database?  Am I going to need to write my own service?  It seems like reading from a SQL table should be something that people have to do pretty commonly.  I checked around the site but I can't seem to find something that fits what I need... though I may just be looking past something that's right in front of my face...

Best route to take here?

Thanks.

1 reply

Badge +5
Hi,

There is a project available in the blackmartket section of the k2underground which provides a dynamic sql server service object

Once registered you will be able to create an instance of the service to point to a SQL database which will then allow you to Create a SmartObject to perform Read, Save, Delete and GetList methods. In the next version of K2 this has been added to the out of the box feature set.

HTH

Murph