Use multiple document form libraries in the same process

• 6 December 2005
  • 3 replies

Badge +2
Hi,

I'm quite new in K2.NET and I have a problem with Infopath Process Wizard/Infopath activities that I cannot solve.

The problem:
We would like to use multiple infopath forms with multiple form document libraries (in Sharepoint) in the same K2.NET process.

I mean we have some forms for a request process. The process contains the following steps:
- Requester has to fill in the first form (view/1)
- Requester's manager has to review and approve the request (view/2)
- Another person (involved in the process by a field of the approval form) needs to fill in _another_ form.

Well, each form can be found in other document form libraries in Sharepoint and has different views, so merging Form1 and Form2 and create some other views on the merged form is unfortunataly not an option.

How can we do this?

thank in advance,
matyas

ps: sorry for my English. :)

3 replies

Badge +9
Hi Matyas

No problem on the English. Integration with InfoPath only allows one form with one process at this point of time. Some of the reasons for this are that the process instance relies heavily on the XML of the specific document, different forms will have different schemas and that will cause things to break. The other problem is that the process makes use of data field values that determines the location of document to be stored, working with multiple docs in multiple document libraries is not possible as the wizard configuration assumes specific data fields to be used, running the wizard for form1 and then for form2 will overwrite the settings specified for form1.

In summary: InfoPath integration has a One to One relationship between form and process
Badge +2
Hi RĂ©nier,

Thank you for the answer. Well, its quite bad news for us, but I guess there is a workaround for the problem. So please read this below and tell me if you found any mistake in the idea:

We may split the whole business process into two or three pieces (it means 2 or 3 _K2.NET processes_) something like this:

process1:
Requester has to fill in the first form (view/1) then requester's manager has to review and approve the request (view/2).

process2:
Another person (involved in the process by a field of the approval form) needs to fill in another form... etc.

The starting activity of the second process would be the last activity of the first process, so this will create a chain of processes.

Is there any problem (or something we should look to) in this statement?

thank in advance,
matyas
Badge +8
You could consider using an IPC event to 'kick off' the _other_ InfoPath form process.

You could define a XML datafield on the 'parent' process (Lets call it ChildXML) which looks exactly like the K2InfoPathSchema XML datafield in the 'child' process. At the end of the parent process, use a server event to extract relevant values from the 'parent' process' K2InfopathSchema XML datafield and insert these into the ChildXML field. Then use an IPC event and pass the values from the 'ChildXML' datafield to the 'child' process' K2InfoPathSchema XML datafield. This will start the child process as if a user had filled in the Infopath form and clicked the 'Submit' button.

Unfortunately the IPC event wizard does not allow you to assign particular elements or nodes in the XML datafields, this is why the ChildXML field is required.

Does this make sense?