cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lonesurvivor
Nintex Newbie

Closing-Bug in Nintex Forms with newer Versions of Internet Explorer

Hello everyone,

this may be a minor issue but it took me some longer time to evaluate because I just was examining if we should use the newest version of Nintex or wait to upgrade until the next is released to avoid new bugs.
The current installed version of Nintex Forms for SharePoint 2016 onPremise is international version 4.3.3.0.

The issue I faced can be simulated in the following scenario: if you open the Nintex Forms Designer freshly on a list or library without any previously desigend form and you close it immediately (without saving or publishing), in earlier versions you returned to the list/library.
Here, it returns you to a full-windowed dialog of the forms-type-selector. But after a lot of try-and-error and reverse-engineering of the Nintex-Code, it seems that this is a purely Internet Explorer problem. No problem with older versions of IE or Firefox.

So here we have a newly created SiteCollection without any branding, custom masterpage or anything else. This is a document library without any customizations, modified content types, custom fields etc.

I will post screenshots and detailed browser information in the following.

Now if I click on Nintex Forms in the ribbonbar and select the default "Document form", I will get this new dialog to choose which kind of form I want to design:

Let's choose classic form. The designer opens normally:

If I now click on "Close" WITHOUT saving or publishing the form (maybe because I now realized that I am in the wrong list) as you can see next...

...then the browser window looks like this:

There is no way back from here. The buttons doesn't work and there is no link to anywhere on the SiteCollection. Now you have to change the URL manually. For newly Nintex users this could be scared, for experienced users this is annoying because it destroys the UX.

If it would work as it should, it would return to the list I started:

So after a lot of trying and debugging I found out that this seems to come from the browser internal variable document.referrer which will be used as redirect url. As I read, this is handled different by the manufacturers of browsers (and also between different IE versions).

As you can see, I activated the developer tools and requested the document.referrer-value in the console-window:

The above will return the user to the SelectFormType-Page.

In a working Browser, the console-ouput would look like this:

On the following screen you can see the line that will be executed when the designer is closed. You can see, that the cancel-function is located in listformdesigner.js and redirects window.location to document.referrer which points to the SelectFormType.aspx.

If you have published a form and later on enter the designer, the closing works correctly and returns the user to the list again because there is no initial form-type-selection anymore for this list.

These are the different versions of Internet Explorer I already tested for occurence of this effect:

Nintex 4.3.3.0

Nintex 4.4.0.0

Update Versions: 11.0.100

bad behaviour

everything works fine

Update Versions: 11.0.95

bad behaviour

everything works fine

11.2248.14393.0CO

Update Versions: 11.0.65

bad behaviour

everything works fine

11.1593.14393.0CO

Update Versions: 11.0.45

bad behaviour

everything works fine

Update Versions: 11.0.100

bad behaviour

everything works fine

Update Versions: 11.0.95

bad behaviour

everything works fine

Update Versions: 11.0.90

bad behaviour

everything works fine

11.576.14393.0CO

Update Versions: 11.0.38

everything works fine

everything works fine

Update Versions: 11.0.37

everything works fine

everything works fine

Update Versions: 11.0.33

not tested

everything works fine

As you can see, in my tests only the very old IE-versions worked as expected.

Maybe someone can add another information in the comments which versions of Internet Explorer do (not) work to help the Nintex developers to find an appropriate solution for this. Also a note from the developers would be nice. Maybe Eric Harris‌ can forward this to the bug-collecting-department?

Greetings from Nuremberg

Ricky

Update 2019-01-31: I did an upgrade to Nintex Version 4.4.0.0 and this seems to bring a fix for this effect. I tested it with the browser-versions above and added a second column with the results.

As I can see, you added the check for the "selectformtype" in document.referrer which effects in redirecting to correct listDefaultViewUrlResult:

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Closing-Bug in Nintex Forms with newer Versions of Internet Explorer

Ricky Mattischeck‌,

Thanks for the details and that is some really odd behavior happening. I attempted to replicate this and could not do so. Because you are seeing this issue, would you be kind enough to submit it as a support case so we can track this and get it resolved? 

I have already shot a note over to our product manager on forms, but want to follow the appropriate protocol as well. 

0 Kudos
lonesurvivor
Nintex Newbie

Re: Closing-Bug in Nintex Forms with newer Versions of Internet Explorer

Hi Eric Harris,
thank you for your commitment. I registered in the customer central, which I really appreciate, and created a support case.

0 Kudos