Sending emails to selected groups using Nintex workflow for SharePoint 2010 not fully working

• 12 February 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

I have an InfoPath form that has a multi-selection list box.  This list box pulls from a sharepoint list that has mutiple items.  Each item title is labeled based on a work area, and in each item is also a person column that lists individuals.  Currently, I have Nintex set up to send a notification to any aindividuals  when their work group has been selected in InfoPath.  I have found that when all the work area groups are selected (that includes about 150 individuals (44 duplicates, 106 unique)), the notification doesn't go out at all, but when working with work area groups that have smaller amount of individuals, the emails work as expected.  The workflow completes without error wether the emails come or not. The workflow history shows the User IDs being processed, but it doesn't show all the User IDs, as if it runs out of time.  Anyone have any thoughts?

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi,

do you iterate the groups and send mails or do you send all mails to all groups at once?

Could you add a picture of your workflow to help us understand, what the scenario is?

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +1

To be honest, I had outside help in making this work, primarily on pulling all the work groups from the list and only emailing those that are selected in the infopath form. 

This is the list.

60iD9106E4BA71FAE9B.jpg

This is the infopath multi-select list box.

64i20693AC6F788F1E5.jpg

This is the workflow as it pertains to this notification functionality.

68i82001720EA4AB9BE.jpg69iCFCEC938C1053ACA.jpg70i1CB036DB23BFB497.jpg

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hmm,

so when you use single groups with some users the notifications are sent correctly but if you hit all then no message is sent at all?

You could check in exchange logs if there is any error occuring on that side. To exclude the number of users as a cause you could also try to work with group adresses and let exchange resolve the participants.

Would that be an option for you?

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +1

The issue is when I send out to all groups, the workflow processes without error but the emails never come.  I can select multiple (but not all) and the email will come, depedent on how many individuals are in each group.  My guess is that it has more to do with how many individual emails are sent as opposed to how groups are selected.

Can you expound on what you mean by working with group addresses?

Thanks.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Sorry for the delay. You can try what happens if you work with active directory groups or SharePoint groups. That might help resolving the single users and help the workflows send a mail to everyone.

So instead of naming all your users in your list, just build groups for every list entry and name only the user group in your list.

Badge +1

Thanks for the reply.  I did as you suggested.  Instead of putting individuals into the people picker, I placed created permissions groups.  I selected 1 list item that had 3 permissions groups in it and initiated the notification workflow, which ran without error, but no emails were sent. 

I then ran the notification workflow on 1 list item selected that had 1 permissions group that contained only 1 individual (me).  The workflow delivered the notification as expected.

Any thoughts or other things I could try to narrow down the issue?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hmm, that sounds strange. I didn't experience problems like this in my projects so far.

You could check your mail server if there is any mail throttle defined that prevents your SharePoint server to send more than a specific amount of mails per period.

If there is no such throtteling configured I'd suggest you reach out to Nintex support to work this out with them.

Best regards

Enrico