Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Choose list by variable

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

I have a workflow where I am trying to create an item in a list. There are several different lists, and what I would like to do is to be able to choose a list by the value of a variable. So instead of having seperate branches for creating an item, I would like to have one action that will choose a list based on the value of the variable and creates the item in that list. Is this possible? Thanks.

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Choose list by variable

Jump to solution

Hi David H ,

How many lists are we talking about here?

You might have a condition in your main list to determine where the item is created. You can create a calculated column to determine the name of the list. For e.g. if FieldA has value list1, list2, etc...then calculated column would be:

ListName = IF(FieldA=="list1","ListA",IF(FieldA=="list2","ListB",IF(......))) etc.

Finally your calculated column will have value of <ListName> where item will be created.

In your workflow, use Web service action to create item in the list. URL: Web URL/_vti_bin/lists.asmx

Use the web method as UpdateListItems

List name will be your calculated column: ListName

Update XML would look like this:

<Batch OnError="Continue" RootFolder="/Lists/ListsName">

<Method ID='1' Cmd='New'>

<Field Name='Title'>MyItemTitle</Field>

<Field Name='MyFirstFieldName'>MyFirstFieldValue</Field>

<Field Name='MySecondFieldName'>MySecondFieldValue</Field>

<Field Name='MyLastFieldName'>MyThirdFieldValue</Field>

</Method>

</Batch>

You will have to create this xml in a variable and then use that variable in the updates (xml).

This is a concept and it should work with trial and error method...hope it helps you to get some direction or you may find that creating branches is easier.

View solution in original post