cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Choice control validation - maximum number of choices

Hi, I am creating a questionnaire in Nintex wherein some questions require a response with a maximum number of choices from a list, (i.e. Please select from the following list the reasons why you enjoy working for Nintex, select max 4).

The responder should not be able to submit the form until 4 or less choices have been selected.

What is the validation rule required for this response?

I have used:

Control is invalid if...

ChoiceControl > 4

"Please select a max of 4 choices"

This does not work.

Also: Is there a difference between selection ChoiceControl from the Item Properties or the Named Controls?

Thanks,

Adam

Edit: switched runtime controls to named controls in final question.

Labels: (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Choice control validation - maximum number of choices

Hi,

I don't know how to validate the control to allow a maximum of 4 choices, but I can answer you about the difference between Item Properties and Runtime Properties

Even if those properties have the same name, they are very different because Item Properties store the value of the field at the time the form is loaded (it's the value of the item field), Runtime Properties instead start with the Item Properties values but they get updated with any change you do on the control, so in Runtime property you have the current displayed value and not the item one. If you are doing validation based on field of the form you have to use almost every time the Runtime Properties.

I hope I've been clear enough

Giacomo

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Giacomo, thanks for your response. Note that the validation formula creator has tabs Named Controls and Item Properties, not Runtime Functions (which I incorrectly stated in my question). Therefore I assume that I am to select the control in "Named Controls" when using the formula creator.

Thanks again,

Adam

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Hi Adam,

yes, obviously you have to select the "Named Controls"

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Our custom validation Insert Reference dialog box does not include a tab for Named Controls. The tabs are limited to Common, Item Properties, and Inline Functions. Therefore we are unable to follow the above suggestion to reference the Named Controls (runtime functions). Is this an issue with our Forms Designer or settings?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

We think we have figured this out! If you are in the validation options from control settings you will only see the Item Properties tab, not the Named Controls tab. This limits you to non-run-time values. If you insert a rule on the control and select rule type of "validation". You will then find that the Named Controls tab is available when building a formula to validate.

Hope this helps you out too!

-Mandeep

Not applicable

Hi, Mandeep! If your own answer is the right one, feel free to select it "correct" by the button at the bottom of the post. It helps others in the community searching for correct answers about this topic.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
mdagostino
Nintex Newbie

I have a similar question. i have 5 choice fields but I want the certain users to only select one. how can I do that? so I have

[ ] Field 1

[ ] Field 2

[ ] Field 3

[ ] Field 4

[ ] Field 5

some users can select more than one but certain only one. Can someone please help? I need to get this done by tomorrow cob

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master