cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Checking/detecting if a document is checked out

Hello Everyone,
i am designing a workflow for a list in which i  got to update a related item in a document library (using lookup id). The document library is configured to force checkout before editing the items. Now, from the list workflow i want to updated the related item in document library, for which i would have to check out the document (checkout action is configured to check out the respective document), update item, and then check in back. Things work fine if respective document is in 'checked in' state before making the updation using workflow. If the document is checked out before the workflow is run, it would throw error, something like " document is already checked out" (as i am checking out the document in workflow). So, my question is, is there any way, i could check/detect if the document is checked out? using nintex workflow 2013. Please advise or suggest any work around.

Labels: (2)
Tags (1)
8 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Checking/detecting if a document is checked out

Use the action named "Wait for check out status change"

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

thanks for the response. Isn't that action used in case if the workflow is running on the item that is checked out?? that's not the case with me. its basically a list workflow that got to deal with checked out document in other document library.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

In that case I'd move the update action to a new workflow on the library, starting it from your current workflow.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

One more thing came into my mind is that we can check the 'Checked Out to' column that is maintained for a document library. If that column is populated, it means that document is checked out to some user. In case if the that column is not populated with any value, it means document is not in checked out state. I have not tested it though.

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Please could you set it as answered?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Nice One!! now just need to remember how to compare with a blank variable in Office 365 again

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Ditto Warwick Ward‌ , my testers have just found this bug . I have just create a text variable ( textNull) which I leave unassigned and then added the Run-IF ->  Check In actions ,  then restarted the w/f .  If this fails I will need to go forensic with the W/f 

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

create a text variable and assign the value of "Checked out to" column. Then check whether the text variable is empty or not to determine the checkout status.

Please mark it as Answer if it work for you

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply