Impersonation step in Nintex workflow?

• 12 February 2016
  • 14 replies

Badge +9

I have an action in the workflow where I want to create an item in a list where the user who initiated the workflow doesn't have access. In another scenario I have a workflow where user who initiated it will have read only access to the item but I still want the workflow to be able to modify it. How do I do it? On some actions there is an option to run it as a workflow owner but I don't see it on the "Create Item" action.

14 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Igor - Simply add an Action Set to your workflow, and then put the Create Item action into the Action Set.  The Action Set has the "Run as Workflow Owner" option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

To add to Tom's response.  When you open the Action Set setting, in the ribbon of the settings window, click on Common.  You'll find the Run as Workflow Owner option, there.

It will run everything inside the Action Set, as the person who published the workflow.

Vadim

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

As further addition, if the action is nested inside other action (as inside an Action Set or in a branch of a Set condition action, or anything similar), the Run as Workflow Owner isn't available and you to mark that flag on the upper action (the action set, the set condition, ecc..)

Giacomo

Badge +9

I think that is the case here as I am not able to find it. Can you please tell me where can I find it in the example below? Thanks!

actionset01.png

actionset02.png

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Igor,

the option of Run as Workflow Owner, will only be available if your Action Set is at the root (top level) of the workflow.  Not within another branch of an action.

Vadim

Badge +9

Ok - so whats the best solution here? Can I for example set a variable on the Approve branch, move the action set to the root path and combine it with Run If?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Oh definitely.. As long as it outside of the child branches, that'll be fine.

Badge

Hi Tom,

Quick question, what happens when the person who published the workflow either leaves the organization or no longer has elevated privileges?  Is it better to publish using a service-like account?

Badge +2

I have the same question!

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi,

in my experience, when the "run as workflow owner" option has been ticked, it's better to publish the workflow with a service-like account, otherwise using a "user-like" account, if it's disabled or it loses some authorizations, the workflow could error because of that.

Giacomo

Badge +9

Do you if this would work if I put a full state machine inside the action set? My stat machine has some change permission actions for the initiator.

And the actions inside the state machine doesn't have (even the action set within StatM.) the run as workflow owner option.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi Christine, yes, it would work, but you could also set the "run as workflow owner" directly in the state machine if it isn't nested inside other actions..

Giacomo

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

brilliant2.jpg?w=720

I did not know this was even an option in the Action Set.  Learned something new today. happy.png

Badge +9

Thanks Giacomo.. I didn't find it in the stat machine, but I did put the full state machine inside the action set and ran as sharepoint admin (republished using the admin account instead of my account).. works smoothly.. Very happy that I found this post, this was causing me a lot of trouble.. Thank you guys.. you're the best..