Suggestions for dealing with multi-value fields

• 29 November 2017
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi all,

If I transmit a multi-value field to Hawkeye, the table gets some pretty messy looking data.  e.g. I've got a field where the user has selected two items: Apples and Oranges.  The data transmitted to Hawkeye looks like this:

{"__metadata":{"type":"Collection(Edm.String)"},"results":["Apples","Oranges"]}

My question is what is the best way to manage this data?  Do we manipulate it so it's nicer before we send it to Hawkeye or do we do something with it using PowerBI (or your BI tool of choice)?  Let's make the assumption that we want to report on how many apples were selected given a particular set of filters.

Cheers,

Chris

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Personally , I'd do it in PowerBI, or BI tool.

As the values of collections can be variable, it would be hard to try and do the manipulation in workflow.

In PowerBI at least you could quite easily strip the values into new columns etc and have it done at runtime without needing to mess about with Workflow logic. In BI you could also manipulate the data how and where you wanted to.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hey Dan,

Do you know of any useful sites/links to show how to do this?  I'm a BI noob!

I was thinking for multi value fields, we could put into a for each loop and all it would do is submit a value at a time via a beacon but I guess I'm thinking too much from a relational DB perspective.