cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Check Out Document, Start WF with Link

Hey Guys,

i have got 2 Questions.

1. Is it possible to check out an document for different People? i.e. Approval WF --> Check out for Initiator --> Check in doc--> Check out for Reviewer --> check in doc--> Check out for Approver?
  2. Is it possible to start a WF for an document by clicking on a link i.e. "Click here to start approval WF" ?

I'm new to Nintex and using SharePoint 2013.

Greets

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Check Out Document, Start WF with Link

I also need to be able to check an item out to a specified person, other than the initiator.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Re: Check Out Document, Start WF with Link

Benjamin/James,

Unfortunately the Nintex action doesn't allow an option to specify the person checking out the item. Looking further into the Lists.CheckOutFile method at MSDN indicates that it too doesn't provide an option to specify the person to check the item out to.

The only way I can think to possibly accomplish this would be to impersonate the person (perhaps using App Step) at the point of requesting the check-out and then again at the point you wish to check-in the item.

To start a workflow on document by clicking a link is possible in a couple of ways;

1. Nintex Workflow Settings provides an option to put the workflow on the items menu (ECB menu). This is easy and simple but will require more than one click.
  2. Another option is to use SP Designer to add a custom action to the ribbon - which can include starting a workflow.
  3. To start from a Link will require javascript and a web part added to the page/form. This works well if you're comfortable with javascript.
  4. I've even cobbled together (from various sources) a method to run a workflow on multiple selected items from a custom action in the ribbon.

Regards,

Gerard

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply