SmartForms versioning - release management

• 13 January 2014
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

We were wondering how to get around version issues of SmartForms in relationship with Workflow versions?

When we need to release a new version of a workflow, the functionality might be changed. This can be taken into account in changes in the SmartForm.

As far as we are aware, there will be only 1 version of a SmartForm available.

Existing workflow instances are following the business logic of the previous WF version after release of a new one; only the are expecting the SmartForm to behave in a different way than the version just released.

How to deal with this?

4 replies

Badge +3

I am also interesting this question.

Badge +7

Hi Eric,

It is possible to have more than one version of a smartform, so different instances can be started within the same form. Everytime a new version is excuted it becomes a default version of the workflow.  Have a look at this video: http://help.k2.com/displaycontent.aspx?id=6244# it covers understing workflow version. 

Hope this will help!

Regards

Nelly

Badge +2

I believe you are referring to workflow versions and not smartform versions

Thanks,

Eric

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hi Eric

There are 2 ways I have approached this issue in the past. The approach taken depends on the size and complexity of the change.

The first approach is to try and make the changes to your form in such as way as they are backwards compatible to your previous workflow version.  This approach may work if you are only making a small change to the form/workflow and you can design rules in your form/workflow to accommodate it. You can quickly run into trouble this way however if the change is more complex.

The second approach is to create a second version of your form/s by saving the original form and naming it something different (e.g. RequestFormV2) and wiring the new version of your workflow up to use this form/s. I would only use this approach if there was some substantial changes to the form and/or workflow. It is not an ideal approach to have multiple versions of the same form, but at least you have a clean break between workflow versions.