Sharepoint minor to major version

• 8 October 2012
  • 1 reply

Badge

I want to create a workflow that updates a file from a minor to major version after a manager gives his approval but I'm a bit stuck at the moment. Does anyone has an idea how to create this?

1 reply

Badge +5

I don't know how to do what you are asking.  I know that it is possible in Visual Studio (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/hu-HU/sharepoint2010customization/thread/93431f51-464e-4801-9341-a3dd80c871d3) and I’m sure you can tie that in with a blackpearl server event somehow.

For what its worth, I’ve always tried to avoid using the Major/Minor version settings in SharePoint.  Too many times someone wants to start a document at 12.4 or something like that.  What I’ve usually done is create a column called “Version Number” and then use workflows to change the value of that column.  If you are forced to use the SharePoint stuff, you could copy the file to a new library that does not have Minor versions turned on.  Call that library “Published documents”…? And then only give the system account write access to that library?