cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

Cascading Dropdowns not working.

Hello everybody,

recently I got the requirement to add filtering to certain dropdowns based on another dropdowns value.

Since both of the dropdowns are list lookups and the second dropdown's source list has a lookup to the source list of the other one, I thought cascading dropdowns would be the best solution.

I quickly whipped up 3 test lists. ZID-Abteilungen (with information on our orgs divisions), ZID-Teams (with information about our orgs teams and a lookup to the ZID-Abteilungen list to identify the division they're part of) and Cascading Dropdown Test (a list to test the cascading dropdown functionality, as the name implies. It features a lookup to ZID-Abteilungen and ZID-Teams).

ZID-Abteilungen:

ZID-Teams

In the nintex form for the Cascading Dropdown Test I put two list-lookups (from the "list columns" section):

I left the lookup control for "ZID-Abteilungen" as it was and configured the control for "ZID-Teams" as follows:

I published the form and tested it. When I chose a division, the team-lookup was "disabled" (no options to chose from).

I was quite confused. I started looking around for solutions on the nintex community and found a couple of posts, none of which seemed to solve the problem. I then implemented a tip from Marian Hatala‌ to put a calculated value on the form to check whether everything works out. I configured the calculated value as follows: parseLookup(AbteilungLookup,true).

I then tried filtering the control (for the team lookup) by that value, but it still wouldn't work.

Last I tried to set the filtering criteria to "by specific value" and put one "IT-Solutions", I previewed the form and voilà, it worked. So it seems that the filtering should work, but not "by a control's value".

Does anyone maybe have a clue what might be happening here?

Kind regards,

Lucas

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
30 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Cascading Dropdowns not working.

can you post configuration of 'AbteilungLookup' form control, and both 'Team' and 'Abteilung' list fields from the list you build the form for?

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

The config for Abteilung Lookup (or AbteilungLookup, since Nintex removed the whitespace) looks as follows:

(sorry for the rather large screenshot)

The config for the Abteilung list field:

And for the Team list field:

I hope these screenshots suffice for finding a probable cause.

Thanks for replying

PS: I hope SP being German isn't too much of a hindrance.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Be aware that (,and hopefully I'm not stating the obvious/something you already know,) the value of Abteilungen in your ZID-Teams list is not the value shown (e.g. IT-Management) in the list view. It actually contains the ID as well in the following format:

<ID>;#<Display Value> for example: 1;#IT-Management

Multiple selection lookupvalues go a bit further in the the 2nd+ ID also gets the ;# prefix. for example:

1;#IT-Management;#2;#IT-Operations

Hopefully this helps, in addition to Marian's and other replies to come.

NB: Cascading dropdowns are often created by using simple lookup lists, which unfortunately contain duplicate information (where's the implementation of the InfoPath @Unique function?????).

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Thanks for your comment

I was aware of that fact, as I got to see it when using the calculated value withouth using "parseLookup()".

As I use "by a control's value" I expected nintex to sort that out automatically.

Even if I filter "by a specific value" it works (tried it with the unparsed calculated value if I recall correctly).

I will look into this and edit this comment accordingly.

Edit:

I implemented two more calculated value fields: Now I have both the unparsed and parsed values displayed in the form (so I don't have to constantly switch around):

I tried filtering "by a control's value" against both, the unparsed and parsed values, none of which worked.

Still, filtering "by a specific value" (e.g. IT-Solutions) works flawlessly.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Hi Lucas,

I created a list with the departments, a Teams list with Title and listlookup for Abteiling. And finally a form list with Title and list lookup column Abteilung. For this last one I created a simple form and added next to Title and the Abteilung dropdown another list lookup field (not linked to a column) for selecting a Team using the selected Abteilung as a filter. And it seems to be working for me.

This is my setup for the filtered list lookup into Teams:

List column name is the Title column of the ZID-Teams list to show in the dropdown. No need to parse the selected Abteilung. I'm using Nintex Forms 2013 on-premise v2.11.2.2

Next I added a list lookup column Team to the form list and reset its Nintex Form. Applying the same filtering setting (minus indicating the Title column for use as display value in the dropdown) also works as expected. So maybe you could check you Nintex Forms version in order to determine whether or not it needs updating.

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Hi Jean-Pierre Huls

Thanks for your input

I tried your variant, but without success. Using an unconnected list lookup control for Teams yields the same result, no options to chose from (aka a "disabled"-like control).

Our Nintex Forms (2013 on-premise) Version is v2.11.2.0.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

You might consider checking the release notes for 2.11.2.1 & 2.11.2.2.

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Hi Jean-Pierre Huls,

I checked the release notes for v2.11.2.2, v2.11.2.20 and v2.11.3.0 but didn't find anything that seems to be directly connected to this specific issue.

Apparently another division within our org (on the same environment) also experiences this issue. Thus I doubt it has anything to do with the actual configuration of my form and more likely something to do with our environment.

I will update the post itself should I encounter any advancements concerning (the solution of) this issue

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

That would be appreciated Lucas Münch. In case your company has a test/dev environment, and you not already tried this, you could test there as well, and maybe also after updating Nintex Forms to the latest version.... looking forward to any updates.

Accept as Solution Reply