cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Capture LazyApproval response as workflow variable?

Using Nintex Workflow 2010. First time working with LazyApproval. Got it installed and functioning. http://www.nintexdownload.com/connect_images/lazyapproval-configandtroubleshootguide.pdf I've got this gude, too, and have gone over it.

While the approve/reject works nicely, I'm being hit up with a business requirement to require people to enter comments if they are doing a reject.

I totally understand that I cannot "require" somebody to enter comments into an email, but, can I capture the reply submitted via email intoa workflow variable? I'm seeing the entire email, including response, gets dumped into the Nintex Workflow Log, so I have some gimmer of hope that this is possible.

Labels: (2)
Tags (2)
21 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Capture LazyApproval response as workflow variable?

Argh. Looks like LazyApproval will only accept a response EXACTLY MATCHING the keywords. Sort of kills the idea of allowing addtional comments.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Yes you can! I can't remember everything from a workflow I did a year ago, but I'll try to dig it up. Lazy Approval will look in the first 10 (? i think it was) lines for a response it is trying to match. Like Approve. But you can still capture the entire email in a variable. I did the same thing, used lazy approval to get the response, but saved the whole email in a variable and put it in a custom comments field. But I first had to strip out all text after from: line so I wouldn't keep the email chain (the original message).

I'll try to provide more details as I find them. But you can do it

Automation Master
Automation Master

Turns out Lazy Approval scans the first 20 lines for a supported keyword. And use the Approver Comments reference to get the entire response. You will most likely need to strip out some data using a regEx action following.

Not applicable

I tried this after reading your reply. If I try submitting a LazyApproval with more than one word in the reply, it is rejected and I get an email that reads as follows:

Your response was not able to be interpreted. Please try again with a clear indication of your chosen outcome.

Valid outcomes for this task are:

- Approve

- Reject

I tried again with the text "Reject because I can do so", guessing that the literal word "Reject" would do the job. Still no go. What I am suspecting is that the only responses being accepted are those where the response exactly matches the title of a Flexi-Task outcome. In my case, those happen to be the default "Approve" or "Reject". Fwiw, we're using NW2010.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

For the standard responses, Approve and Reject, there are synonyms that it will detect. You can see those in Central Admin in Lazy Approval settings and also add your own. Only custom outcomes have to match exactly. I believe you can have a response word in a phrase and it will still be detected. I would think "Reject because I can do so" should be fine.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

If only NW2010 agreed with your thought that it should work fine. I tried a variety of replies; "Reject" on a single line and the commentary on an adjecent line. "reject" in lower-case and then some extra text; and a few other such varieties. All were not accepted. Only the literal single word "Accept" or "Reject" works, but I did note that it can be capitalized or not. Also, the "Accept" and "Reject" are the OOB outcomes in the Flexi-Task. I didn't modify their labels.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

You'll need to use the "Assign Flexi Task" function instead of "Request Approval".

A Flexi Task will have two default outcomes and has the option for more if you want. You can require a comment for the 'Reject' outcome by double-clicking on the icon for the outcome option and choosing 'Required' for Comments.

In the text for the Task Notification I've included the following instruction to ensure From/To/etc isn't counted as a comment:

Replying via Email?

Use the Reply button and delete the text of this email.

Reply with: "approve", "approved", "ok", "yes", "decline", "declined", "no", "reject", or "rejected".

Your comments will be recorded.

Edit: The comments have to be on the next line, so

"Rejected because I can"

won't work, but:

"Rejected.

Because I can."

will work.

Edit 2: The workflow doesn't seem to warn if no comments are included in the email. Not sure how to fix that.

0 Kudos
seid
Nintex Newbie

I'm trying to implement the same thing... May I ask how did you capture the whole email in a variable? I've tried using "Store outcome in" in the flexi task configuration but it returns only "reject". How did you do it?

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Oh that is cool that you can do that! It definitely can be useful!

0 Kudos