cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brettando
Nintex Newbie

Can an email address be added to a multi-user People Picker field using JavaScript?

Jump to solution

I am designing a Training Form and within that form there is a section to add a list of group names to conduct the training.

The names can be sourced from SharePoint User Profiles or an external Sharepoint List.

I do not want to use the nintex People-Picker field as the loader just spins for about a minute then times out.

So I am using a List-Lookup multi-select of people's names from an External List.

What I need is a way to gather the email addresses from the people added to the Multi-Select in to a field so they can be emailed via a Workflow Email.

I've managed to get the first chosen names' email via Lookup calculation, but subsequent emails do not append.

As the result could be over 255 characters, the options I see are Multi-line text field or a multi-user People Picker.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Can an email address be added to a multi-user People Picker field using JavaScript?

Jump to solution

Can an email address be added to a multi-user People Picker field using JavaScript

email address directly not.

you have to insert kind of 'user object' into PP field. email address might used to identify/create that user object, as far as the adress is unique, which need not be the case.

see - https://community.nintex.com/t5/Nintex-for-SharePoint/People-Picker-Extensions-Nintex-Forms/m-p/8377...

I've managed to get the first chosen names' email via Lookup calculation, but subsequent emails do not append.

I guess you used a lookup() runtime function.

the function doesn't support multivalue inputs, hence it recognizes and resolves just first user entry.

I assume you're going to send notifications from workflow and you don't need to know mail addresses within form.

then I'd suggest to perform lookup form respective mail addresses within the workflow, it'd be much easier.

0 Kudos
billvencil
Nintex Newbie

Re: Can an email address be added to a multi-user People Picker field using JavaScript?

Jump to solution

Does the external list have email addresses or other fields that could be used to get the email address from Active Directory?

Also, would it be possible to source the names from a standard SharePoint list? You could then add a people/group column to the list that would allow easy access to the user's email address.

Agreed that looking up the actual email address is easier in the workflow than in the form.

0 Kudos
brettando
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the replies.

Using an external list of names, ie: Last Name, First, the people are chosen.

This list also has their email address in a seperate column.

The issue I have is the List Lookup Multi-Select doesn't allow Connection to a column that supports more than 255 characters.

Nintex doesnt' allow List Lookup to Connect to a multi-line text box.

The only options I see is:

Use a single drop-down for the names, calc Lookup the email, append it to a Multi-line textbox using a javascript button.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
brettando
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi emha,

Correct I've used a Lookup runtime function to pull the email address.

So not my ideal solution, but if I used a single list-lookup drop-down, and the email is extracted to a calcuated field each time a name is chosen:

Do you know of a way using Javascript to copy that email address and append it to a multi-line text box?

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

yes, that could be workable with a javascript.

buut I miss the point why would you need to resolve mail addresses in the form....

0 Kudos
brettando
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi emha, The reason for the email addresses on the form is due to the 255 Character limit for List-Lookups.

I thought it easier to copy the email addresses to a multi-line text field, seperated by semi- colon, then use that field in the workflow to send an email.

Either way, Full Name or email address, I would like to append that value to multi-line text box if it's possible?

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

The reason for the email addresses on the form is due to the 255 Character limit for List-Lookups.

I meant it: why would you need to resolve mail addresses in the form and not to do that in workflow.

as mentioned, in workflow it would be much easier and you wouldn't be limited by form control's size restriction.

0 Kudos
brettando
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution
Hi Emha,
I'm not sure I fully understand how it can be done via Workflow.
Wouldn't we first need the chosen list of names from the form to resolve the email addresses anyway?
My List Lookup control doesn't connect to a multi-line text field, only single-line <255 character limitation, so I'm not sure how it can wired up.
0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

of course you need find/resolve mail addresses first for selected list of users before sending mails out.

but yoou need not to do that in a form, you do not need mail addresses in the form at all.

in workflow use Query list action to get mail addresses from your 'Exterenal list' of users.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos