Who is an Originator??

• 12 October 2007
  • 3 replies

Badge

In reference to DestinationRule, can anyone tell me who is an originator. And how can i reset it's value. (I am working with active directory)

Thanx in advance

3 replies

Badge +11

Hi,

The Originator is the person starting/kicking off the workflow process i.e. if you have a LeaveRequest workflow process and I apply for Leave, I would be the Originator.  All other Destination Users are merely - Workflow participants.

Be careful to use the Originator as a Destination User - all Destination Users take up K2.net 2003 licenses and if you're running on a User License model, you *may* run out of licenses.

Once a process instance has been started, you can not change the value of the Originator - it is a ReadOnly value.

HTH,

Ockert

Badge +13

Ockert, how is using the originator as destination user more likely to run out of user license than any other destination user?   Any special gotcha on using it?

For example on a recall or save action, we always route back to originator. 

Badge +11

Hi Peter,

Let's say you've got a small company with 3 department heads each responsible for 3 employees i.e. 12 employees in total.

You're running K2.net 2003 on a 10 user license.

A small leave process requires the 3 department heads to approve/decline the request for the 9 subordinates.

If the process stopped there, only 3 user licenses would be used.

If, after the approve/decline you route the process back to the originator for some action, you'll need 12 user licenses.  Now, for a long period, you may not run into a licensing problem but once a process instance is routed to the 8th subordinate, you'll get a problem.

Hope it makes sense,

Ockert