cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can I start a new workflow while it is on wait?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Just build a workflow that will wait for a specific date. Then it will go into a loop where it starts by checking if a field holds the value "False". If it is false then it will wait 24 hours and then check again to see if the field is still "False". This loop will continue until the filed is set to "True" and then it will terminate.

But - if the item in the list that caused this workflow to start, is changed - then there will NOT be initiated another workflow. Looks like I can only have on running workflow for each item in the list. Is that correct or am I missing something?

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Can I start a new workflow while it is on wait?

Jump to solution

Depends how you look at it I think.

If you have a list workflow named "Workflow A" and it is initiated on an item, you cannot run another Workflow A on that same item simultaneously. Because of course, that workflow is already running and waiting upon a certain change ('True').

If you would also have a "Workflow B", you would be able to run as well Workflow A as Workflow B on that item (keeping the actions defined in both workflows in mind).

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Glenda is correct another important point for you to know is that it is version specific. So if I have "Workflow A" version 1.0 running against my document then edit and republish the workflow A, I can now run Workflow A version 2.0 against the same document while workflow A version 1.0 is still running < I don't offer this as a solution just something to watch out for during testing of this type of scenario.

You could also try having your list\library workflow start a Site workflow. In this way workflow A will be finish after starting the site workflow and can be started again if needed while the site workflow continues to do whatever it is doing.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks!

Ok - so that gives me another problem I would have to figure out how to deal with.

The flow is about loan handling. A person can ask for loaning an asset in a
specific date interval. If the return date is passed and the asset has not been
returned, then a reminder mail will be send out. Then the flow will enter a 24
hour wait and check again if the asset has been returned. If not a new reminder
mail will be send out. This loop continues until the field
"IsReturned" equals true.

If an asset that is due for return get's it return date changed, then the reminder
mail should stop until the new due date and also a new confirmation mail with
the new dates should be send out.

Ill look into this and see if I can find a good solution.

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

A site workflow (like Rob already suggested) could be a possible solution here.

You let your site workflow check all relevant items (e.g. with certain content type: loan), you check in this workflow whether these items have a field "IsReturned = false".

Whether it is false, let the workflow send a reminder.

The advantage of a site workflow is that you can schedule them: gear icon >> Nintex Workflow 2013 >> Schedule Site Workflows. Here you could decide that it should run every 24h hours repeatedly.

This way you could also combine your library workflow and a site workflow.

0 Kudos