Generalized Question on \Query List\"

• 29 May 2018
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

I Have a doubt in nintex workflow - Query List Action -

In this am able to select list , do filtering according to the need. Then when i need to select fields, am confused as which fields to select and which variables(already used variables can be used or new variable has to be created for each field?) and how are fields decided(what to select , becoz i feel like , filtering has no connection with fields to be selected)216145_pastedImage_1.png

Thanks in advance

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

first of all I'd recommended to study description of action in documentation

https://help.nintex.com/en-US/nintex2013/help/#Workflow/RootCategory/Actions/Nintex.Workflow.QueryList.htm%3FTocPath%3DW… 

Then when i need to select fields, am confused as which fields to select

select those fields which data you need to process further in the workflow.

eg. if you want to send a list of products in mail notification, then select fields like ProductID, ProductCode, ProductName....

and which variables(already used variables can be used or new variable has to be created for each field?)

configuration screen only provides list of existing variables. so you always have to first create a variable and then configure the action to populate with a field's data.

whether you use a variable(s) just for this action purposes, or variable(s) that might be used elsewhere in a workflow is just up to your needs.

Note that if your query returns just/max one single value, you can use variables of scalar types (single line text, number, date ...)

however if the query may return more then one item, you have to use collection variable.

and how are fields decided(what to select , becoz i feel like , filtering has no connection with fields to be selected)

exactly, fields configured for filters and ones configured being returned as a resultset are absolutely independent.

eg. you may want to provide list of products produced just by a specific department. so you set up filter so that DepartmentName field matches some department name and configure to return product related fields.