Why am I getting 2 emails from the workflow?

• 12 September 2014
  • 11 replies

Badge +11

I am using SharePoint and Nintex 2010. I have a list that has this workflow attached to it. The workflow is set to run if there is a new item created or an item that is modified. When an item is modifed or added, I check in the workflow for a certain condition. When the condition is true, it sends a notification, changes the workflow status, changes a status field in the list and then ends the state machine. This workflow is running twice instead of once so I am getting two emails instead of one. How can I prevent this? Thanks!

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Could you specify a condition in the workflow settings when the workflow should start on modified? So instead of Yes, start on modified, choose a condition and set it on something other than status field.

Other options could be to have a pause as the first action so that all changes are committed first. Then have your condition as the following action to make sure it is not run twice.

Badge +11

Currently it is set up to run conditionally - when status = Submitted. I have a state machine. The first state is 'Submitted'. I can't change those two things or it will mess up the way other things work.  In the 'Submitted' state, I am checking the value of a field.....which is where the email notification gets sent.

I was trying to avoid explaining this portion because it makes it a little more complicated to understand what I am doing. But basically, I have conditional dropdowns on my SharePoint form. Based on what selection is chosen determines the values that appear in the next dropdowns. I had to do Javascript to get this to work. These fields are required. Because SharePoint will select the first field by default if you select it as required I could not make it required in SharePoint. I am checking for it in the workflow (the Submit state). If it is blank, the email notification is sent to tell the user the fields are required. The workflow will not proceed. This is the notificaiton that is sent twice.

Badge +8

Lisa, does this have to be solved by using a workflow? Can't you put some logic into your form that checks the same? Then you could output a message above the form with some text explaining they forgot to fill in a certain required field.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Exactly, in a Nintex from you can create cascading drop downs and validate a field is required without the list defining the field as required using validation on the control, or a Validation Rule. In the validation you can specify a Message to appear to the user immediately at the top of the screen so they can make the changes then. Using a workflow would seem to hinder the user experience.

Using validation rules to ensure a comments box is not left empty

This link shows how to use a validation rule to make sure a comments box is not empty before submission on a task form.

Badge +11

Not that I know of. Keep in mind this is a SharePoint form and not a Nintex form. I'm trying to stay away from Javascript as much as possible and use as much of the out-of-the-box SharePoint functionality as I can in case Javascript is disabled on a user's PC or whatever else the case may be. I couldn't figure out any other way of doing it. I wish SharePoint would not default the first item in the dropdown when it is set as required. That would resolve the issue.

Badge +11

We do not have Nintex Forms. I am using a SharePoint form.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi ‌,

Is this still an issue? if so, are you certain the workflow is running twice or are you receiving two copies of the email?

Regards,

Patrick Kelligan

Badge +11

Its been so long ago I don't remember if I resolved it or not.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Thanks for responding ‌. If you are able to look back at the workflow you were working on at the time, please let us know. If not, can we mark this as assumed answered with one of the suggestions above?

Badge +11

You can go  ahead and mark it Assumed Answered. I can't mark my own. I'm getting to be one of these old people who can't remember anything. happy.png

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Thanks!