cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Call Webservice - Passing Variables back and forth

Jump to solution

My question is specific to Call Webservice - Passing Variables back and forth between two workflows

I have two workflows "Wf-A" and "Wf-B". And a variable "EmailBody" which is a multiline text field.  Wf-A starts Wf-B using call web service action and passes a variable "Email Body".  Wf-B gets the "EmailBody" variable and appends some text to the variable and sends it back to Wf-A. 

I was able to successfully start Wf-B and pass variable "EmailBody". The challenge I have is to get the variable back to Wf-A from Wf-B. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
soni_tumu
Nintex Newbie

Re: Call Webservice - Passing Variables back and forth

Jump to solution

Hello,

I think we can't send details back to the workflow from where it is triggered. So can you try to have the process to complete the remaining stuff in your 2nd workflow itself.

Or else try to have 3rd workflow to process the info by passing the data from 2nd one.

janeyres
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Could you have a custom list with a multiple lines of text column and create an item in that with the email body in Wf-B, then read it in the first workflow Wf-A?

Jan

Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Jump to solution

Hello Tech Willett​ -

I would look into why it has to be passed over and then  back? As mentioned above, I would either continue the remaining actions in WF-B, or simply do the updates and remaining actions in WF-A. Seems like an extra step to pass data around just to get it passed back over.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

It's not clear from your post why you are using the Call Web Service action to start WF-B. I don't think you can reliably synchronize workflows when doing that. You might consider replacing WF-B with a UDA. UDAs support in and out variables and are synchronous.

Or you might consider replacing the Call Web Service action with a Start Workflow action and using Store Data and Retrieve Data actions for passing the modified email body back to WF-A. Start Workflow supports running the workflows synchronously.

0 Kudos