When should I use \Wait for the workflow to complete before continuing\"

• 26 October 2016
  • 7 replies

Badge +9

I have a parent workflow that creates an item and then I have a child workflow using the Action "Start Workflow" to trigger a workflow that sends out an email.  I have it structured this way for the sake of ordering - I do not want the email to be sent out first.

In any event the Start Workflow Action has an option of "Wait for the workflow to complete before continuing".  When should I select this option

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello,

You'll want to check this box when you want all logic in the workflow that is started by the action to complete before continuing to process in your current workflow. This will give you a chance to perform some logic before the current workflow continues.   Say you wanted to update some items, or set some values somewhere, before the current workflow continues, then this would be a good box to check.   It really is an option that helps with the timing of things (although there is a lot more to be said about timing in general).

Otherwise without this option checked, your workflow will execute the Start Workflow action and then continue on to the next action immediately afterwards, regardless of whether or not the started workflow has completed.    

Thanks,

Mike

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi David,

If I've answered your question, could you kindly mark my answer as correct.

Appreciate it.

Mike

Badge +9

I answered it correct on the 27th.. r u not seeing it as slected correct ?  let me know ..thx

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Looks like Frank took care of it for us happy.png

Badge +9

Thanks Frank..Great Forum..I hope to get up to speed so I can start responding...

Badge +11

I am still confused on this case ... :/

I have 2 workflows: Reference and Approval.

When a request is raised, the Reference generates a number and THEN STARTS the Approval workflow.

What does the "Wait for the workflow to complete before continuing" option do in my case???

Will it:

- wait for the Reference workflow to complete and then move to Approval workflow?
- or will it wait for Approval wf to complete before completing the Reference workflow?

Please advise.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello,

When you use this option, it will start the other workflow and allow that other workflow to complete before continuing itself any further.   Think of it like "launch that other workflow and run it to completion and then come back here to this point and continue doing everything else that is left."