Best Practice: 1 Workflow - 1 to Many Sequential Approvers

• 8 February 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +5

Hi Everyone

I would like to create one sequential approval workflow for a number of document types.  Depending on the document type the user may need to select 1, 3, 10 approvers for example.  Is this possible with Nintex/SharePoint and if so what could be a best practice?

The one thing I'm hoping not to do is create a spaghetti code workflow that would manage the different document types with varying sequential approvals.

Best Regards,
Andy

5 replies

Badge +16

Hey

If you have different document types why don't you use content types and have content type reusable site workflow?  that way you can have a workflow that relates to the content type and less logic inside the workflow to work out which document type it is and what process to run?

Badge +5

Hi Cassy

I'm not sure what a content type and a reusable site workflow is.  Would you mind explaining in a bit of detail?

Thanks

Andy

Badge +16

here is a good explanation in detail of what a content type is:

http://sharepointpromag.com/sharepoint/sharepoint-how-series-content-types-beginners

basically though, it's a type of document/item with associated metadata, and you create one or more of them in your site and attach to your library.  so in your case you would have three content types:

document type 1:  name, approver 1

document type 2:  name, approver 1, approver 2, approver 3

document type 3:  name, approver 1, approver 2, ..., approver 10

then you would create 3 x reusable workflow template with nintex - settings > nintex workflow 2013 > create reusable workflow template.

workflow 1 would be associated to content type "document type 1" and would only have one stage of approval

workflow 2 would be associated to content type "document type 2" and would have three stages of approval

workflow 3 would be associated to content type "document type 3" and would have ten stages of approval

if you can give me any more information from what you are actually doing I can mock up some examples for you at some point.

Badge +5

Thanks Cassy.  happy.png

Badge +5

I also found this article that shows how to put an approval request into a For Each loop.  Very interesting....

http://blogs.perficient.com/microsoft/2014/02/nintex-2013-sequential-approval-workflow/