cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Calculated date pausing

Hi Everyone!

The issue scenario:

In the Nintex workflow of this site I've set reminder into it with the calculate date to let it send the reminder email to user to update form field within the due date.

Anyway, if user has finished updated those form field before the due date I've found the issue that it keep pausing until the calculation date end which is way too long to proceed the next process.

I might be missing something very small, but unfortunately I can't go further with it. Are you able to help me?

I'm attaching the whole workflow screenshot and the pauses I mentioned.

Regards

Artur

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Calculated date pausing

I think you should first understand how does 'pause until' and 'run parallel actions' actions work.

hopefully it's quite understandable that 'pause until' action will wait until the configured date.

run 'parallel actions' action will allow workflow to continue when all the configured branches are done.

so if you put a 'pause until' action into 'run  parallel actions' action branch, the 'run parallel actions' will definitely not finish sooner then date from 'pause until' is reached.

you do just describe a problem and do not describe your requirement.

but it looks like you are trying to send a notification to some user(s) if an item is not updated until due date.

from the brief look on your workflow it doesn't look like you would have given him a task to do that.

why do you expect a user would do that? (you can not rely on mail notification if you request a user to do something)

how do you ensure that THE USER do the change? (without the task assigned you may catch any accidental change to an item made by whomever)

how do you ensure that THE CHANGE made is the final item update? (without the task assigned you may catch any intermediate update the  user made to an item)

I would suggest to use (eg.) flexi task with its reminder functionality, that should be much more reliable.

if I'm wrong with my assumptions, please try to describe the logic you need to implement not just a problems you came across.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi Marian,

Thank you for the explanation!

The idea was to wait for user three days (give him three days of time) till he fills out the form, if not send the first reminder email. Then wait next three days for him, if the form is still not filled out, send him second reminder.

From what I understand, the best way would be to move the "Pause until..." action under "Run if":

Screenshot - 2016-04-20 , 17_30_03.jpg

In this scenario one branch will wait for item update and the second one will start after three days is the field is still empty. The "Run if" action looks like this:

Screenshot - 2016-04-20 , 17_39_48.jpg

I hope my understanding of this is correct

BR

Artur

Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

From what I understand, the best way would be to move the "Pause until..." action under "Run if":

not at all!

you would first check whether to send notification and then wait. from run parallel action point of view it makes no difference, your workflow will not continue until BOTH (in general all) branches do finish. ie. despite your fields are updated within minutes workflow will still wait until pause elapses.

I still think flexi task action and its reminder functionality completely fits to your needs.

from what you have described you might need to send out 2 reminder after 3 days each. flexi task reminder configuration should look like this

Highlighted
Not applicable

Thank you very much!

I will try to implement the changes and let you know about the result

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Sorry for the late replay! Just wanted to share the result.

It turned out the the site owner wish was to divide it into two workflows. The reminder works correctly and looks like this now:

Screenshot - 2016-08-10 , 17_04_57.jpg

Highlighted
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Glad to see you got this working Artur Siwakowski​.

Be sure to mark your question as answered so others can quickly find out what you did to get it working!