Workflow Starts on Change Issue

Badge +1

I have completed a workflow and marked it to start on modifications only with no conditions.

I used the 'Switch' function to check if the project status is open or closed, then branch accordingly.

The issue: Published for the first time and the workflow began to run on all records instead waiting for a list item to be changed.

Is this normal behavior? Shouldn't the workflow have waited for the next record change? This is a SharePoint On Premise 2013.

186166_pastedImage_0.png

Thanks

5 replies

Badge +6

Hi Bill,

This is not normal behaviour. If you have the workflow settings defined as below, it should only trigger when the item is modified.

Having said that, are there any other processes running which potentially are touching these items to cause the workflow to trigger? Are you seeing multiple instances of this workflow running, as this would be the case, if it is running on each separate item? Is your Project Dashboard on a different List or this list?

Cheers,

Mark

Badge +3

Hi bill walsh

Can you please share the screenshot of your workflow settings page. Potentially the issue is related to the condition applied as mentioned by Mark.

-Salman

Badge +1

Thanks for your comments,

There isn't any other work flows running on this list. It is automatically undated after 10 pm every night. The list is used for reference only, no editing allowed. Below is how I had the workflow setup.

186193_pastedImage_0.png

I am new to Nintex but long time SP designer user. I would be my understanding this should not be trigger by publishing a new workflow. The event should only happen when the record has been modified after the workflow has been published.

Badge +6

That is correct Bill, only modifications after he publication should trigger the workflow. Per my original reply:

• - are you seeing multiple instances of this workflow running, as this would be the case, if it is running on each separate item?
  • - Is your Project Dashboard on a different List or this list?
  • Is there any particular column you can monitor to flag as a condition on your modification start?

Regards,

Mark

Badge +1

All thanks for the comments and help.

I have a support ticket in and they are not sure why this would happen. One of the issues is not having logging turned on, therefore, we can't see what actually transpired. I have republished the same workflow and have not seen any issues at this time.