Having Problem Updating a SharePoint list ‘Status’ field via the Returned Value

• 12 September 2016
  • 10 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

I having problem updating a SharePoint list ‘Status’ field via the Returned Value option from within multiple buttons in a Nintex task form. It only seems to take the values retuned from the first button, and ignore all Returned Values from all subsequent buttons, as I try to change form status as different users fill out the form.

I would like to check the form Status field on form load, similar to InfoPath, and update the same Status field on the form via a Returned Value on a button. The Status field is used in SP workflow to send an email to the next assignee with a link to the task form.

Status field value: 'New' (default on first load), 'Pending_Acknowledgement', 'Acknowledged'.

--------------------------------------

Also, how do I show multiple instances of the same column variables on a form?

Thanks.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I don't really understand what you'd like to do.

Why do you want multiple instances of the same column?

Instead of using the returned value from buttons, have you try to use a calculated value control connected to your status field?

The returned value on a button will only be taken into account if the button is clicked. This option is there if you have several buttons on your form which submit the form and you'd like to know which button has been pressed by the user.

Badge +1

Hi,

Maybe I did not explain myself well. I am trying to re-use the same Nintex field (pointing to the same column in a SP list) on various sections of the form. That is handy, especially when the form is completed, so that I can show the whole form as read-only in a more organized manner, with a close button at the bottom of the form.

I think I found the answer to that one. I heard that I can have multiple variables pointing to the same column in SP, but as long as only one is enabled.

I have two clickable buttons (Save and Submit), but only the Returned Value of the first button is passed to the Status column field in the SP list when clicked. The other one does not pass the value, even though it has the same settings as the other one.

I have not tried the calculated value control yet, but I am not sure that would work, as the user still needs to click

a ‘Save and Submit’ button control. Please see hidden panels. First is for the Tech. The second is for the end user.

button works fine and update the Status field in SP, but the button does not. If I remove the first button to test, the second button then updates the Status field in SP.

Thanks,

Juan

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

OK, that's strange. I use the same settings in several forms : 2, 3 and sometimes 4 Save and submit buttons which are connected to the same column and which return a different value. It has always worked. Have you tried to delete and recreate the second button which doesn't return a value even if it's clicked?

Badge +1

Thanks again.

I was not sure if it was the way the Returned Value option in a Nintex button was supposed to work, but it is good

to know it works fine for you. I know I re-added a button and it did not work either, but in this case I will create

another test SP list and Nintex form to test it again. Maybe the form or the field is somehow corrupted.

Thanks,

Juan

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello,

Do you have any other controls on the form that are connected to this column such as a field to show the status itself?   If so, you will overwrite your own values based on the position of the controls.   You can think of it like this -> from top to bottom, if I have a control that feeds a value to say the status column that says New, but then I have one further down that feeds to the same status column Old, the value will be Old.  

Buttons are slightly different because they return a value when acted upon.    I recently saw a form where a user had a control connected to a column as well as a button to return a value to that column.   The control was beneath the button.  When the user would click the button, they expected the column to be set to that value, but it was not, it was blank instead.   This is because the control was overwriting the returned value.

Thanks,

Mike

Badge +1

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your help.

After your email, I decided to recreate the SP list and the Nintex form, and the two buttons worked fine afterward, as I was able to update the list Status column. It seems to be the form somehow got corrupted.

Thanks,

Juan

Thanks,

Juan

(Sent from my iPhone)

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Thanks Mike, that's good to know wink.png

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

That's great that you found a solution happy.png

Badge