There seems to be a bug when using variables in workflow messages. There is an additonal return being shown before the value is displayed. I have noticed this in other workflows as well!
In the example below both 'klantnaam' (client name) and 'klantnummer' (account number) are of the column type single line of text, and yet klantnummer is shown on a new line.
Email message result:
Send message configuration:
Does anybody have an explanation for this?
Email messages are rendered at email client 's whim.
Every email client ( gmail, Outlook, OWA, mobile ) renders messages with its own way to show it.
Usually it is not an issue of the workflow.
I suggest you to use a "main" DIV container on your message and set width to accommodate your message.
Thanks, Fernando, for your reply!
I don't think the DIV container has anything to do with this though. I noticed in the HTML source code of the delivered e-mail message that a break has been added, which is not included in the source code of the send message action in the worklfow.
What could have caused this?
In another send message action that I configured today I found the same bug (?). In this case it occurs only with the first variable used in the message. An addional Enter/new line is added, which can be seen in the HTML source code of the actual message but again not in the source code of the send message action configuration.
Only new workflows or new send message actions added to existing workflows seem to be affected!
Send message action configuration
I'm really hoping someone has a solution! It is important for our e-mails to be rendered correctly.
can you check in designer in message HTML source whether there is not a linefeed character between 'klantnummer' and follow up <a> tag?
if so then try to remove it.
I'm not sure what you mean by designer? SharePoint Designer or Nintex Workflow?
There is no linefeed character (such as <br/>) in the workflow send message action configuration html source code - as can be seen in the 'HTML-bron' image, this is a snippet from the actual workflow configuration.
yeah, workflow designer >> open notification action configuration >> click into mail body >> open HTML source.
based on your 'Source code' screenshot I hoped the context is clear
with a linefeed I meant characters 0x0D and 0x0A ( ASCII - hex)
when you edit HTML code end press ENTER you are switched to new line. there is/are inserted above mentioned linefeed characters (one or both - depends on platform) but no HTML tag.
that's because you could write HTML code in a structured/readable way.
for most of the HTML viewers/browsers it doesn't cause any problem. but mail clients (and especially outlook) interpret such a line feed characters (apart from several others) as a valid HTML line/paragraph/block tag, hence might make eg a new line, where it was not supposed.
I have previously deleted all extra lines/spaces etc. from the e-mail body HTML source but as I saved and exited this seemed to be ignored. I will have to do some further research on this and might get back to you!
Just thought I would post a status update:
A bug fix was included in version 220.127.116.11 (from the release notes: Rectified the multiple addition of line breaks when editing the source HTML in Send Notification (59600)) but this doesn't apply for us as we are on 18.104.22.168 and the bug still occurs.
So I contacted Nintex support and they were able to replicate the issue. Development is now working on a fix.