cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
knickles
Nintex Newbie

Best method for 12 approvers - if not all approve within 7 days move to approver level

I have a requirement to have 12 stakeholders indicate their approval via lazy approval - as long as none reject and doesn't matter how many actually approve, after 7 days, we want to automatically end this approval task and move to next level of approver and change the unanswered stakeholders' status to "No response".  At any time we do want to see which of the 12 stakeholders have approved it on a SharePoint site displaying the status. 

Should I still do a SharePoint group with the 12 users with "all approve" and a "timer" action or do a "support list" that assigns a flexi-task to each of them and run them parallel?  When I did this 2nd option before it seemed to create errors on the workflow when the multiple approvers responded so I'd have to end the workflow and then restart which would then cause confusion among those who had already approved.  TIA!

24 Replies
knickles
Nintex Newbie

Re: Best method for 12 approvers - if not all approve within 7 days move to approver level

Any advice as I need to get started working on a solution and would like to do "best" way first time!  :-)  TIA!

courtney_shelto
Nintex Newbie

Re: Best method for 12 approvers - if not all approve within 7 days move to approver level

I would go with the 12 tasks in parallel. Can you give some more info on what went wrong last time? I'd have each task have 3 options: Approve, Reject, No Response. Have an auto-complete after 7 days that auto completes anyone who hasn't responded to "No Response." Did you have a variable for your parallel branch to complete on? 

knickles
Nintex Newbie

Thanks Courtney!  It was a few years ago when I did something like this but I just remember each time 1 or 2 branches would receive errors and in order to try and get those approvers and the ones still outstanding I would have to re-start the workflow which created confusion for those who still needed to approve that didn't get the error. 

What do you mean on the "variable for your parallel branch to complete on"?  If I remember right I did a counter of sorts where each time one completed I updated a number field by 1 so when it reached 12 it moved to the next step which was another approver level. 

courtney_shelto
Nintex Newbie

You can create your parallel block and in the configuration for it is an option to basically have a variable that will trigger exiting the block even without all branches having finished. In your case, it seems like all the branches would finish because you'd have them auto-complete after 7 days. But, if you just wanted to exit the parallel block, you can have a "set variable" action at the end of one of the branches to effectively end the block without allowing the other branches to complete.

But you don't need all of them to approve, right? Just at least one, really, right? So your best move would be to wait for all branches to complete and to use the auto-complete function of the task.

knickles
Nintex Newbie

Oh no we do want all 12 to approve!  If one rejects then it ends the workflow completely. 

0 Kudos
courtney_shelto
Nintex Newbie

"as long as none reject and doesn't matter how many actually approve"? If someone rejects, it ends, but if, at the end of the 7 days, 4 people have approved and 8 haven't done anything, it should continue to the next level, right? That's what I understood from your original post.

knickles
Nintex Newbie

That's correct!  We'd like all 12 to approve but if only 4 people approve, none reject and 8 have done nothing, then it can move to the next level.

courtney_shelto
Nintex Newbie

So, I would assign all 12 tasks in parallel. On each task, have it auto-complete after 7 days to a "No Response" branch. If anyone rejects, the workflow terminates. By having the auto-complete, your parallel actions will all execute and advance to your next workflow piece which will be your "next" level of approvers. 

knickles
Nintex Newbie

OK thanks I will try that!