problem adding system.transactions timeout setting

• 24 September 2019
  • 0 replies

Badge +1

Hello all. I am having a timeout issue with web service calls in my wfs. I tried adding the system.transactions timeout value to my web.config files (as it was not defined) and it actually made things worse. Here are the details.

Problem: the first 1-2 wfs with a web service call each day timeout. Regular wfs work fine.

"Failed to invoke Microsoft Exchange web service. Error returned from server: The operation has timed out"

Reason: I believe it is because the app pool is set to recycle each day at 2am.

Action: I followed this article http://www.thesysadminhimself.com/2013/08/sharepoint-30-minute-time-out-for-forms.html

I added this:

<system.transactions>
    <defaultSettings timeout="00:30:00" />
  </system.transactions>

to the web.config for both WFEs just before
</configuration>

This was done via right click-Explore on each site in IIS. After I updated the files I first tried start/stop in the IIS GUI. The following morning all the wfs that I submitted with the web service errored. So I went ahead and ran iisreset in the admin command prompt. Submitted some more test wfs and all errored again. Rebooted both servers. Still didn't work. So I finally restored the old web.configs, restarted IIS and then it was back to only the first 1-2 erroring.

I have logged a call with support and they said I did everything correctly. The tech is asking around to see if there is anything else I can try but since this is a SharePoint thing I imagine I'll be out of luck. Is there anything else I can try?

Support suggested this warm up script because of the nightly App Pool recycle so I am looking into this as I'm fairly new and not clear on how everything we set up. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/scottstewart/2014/09/29/warm-up-script-for-web-front-end-servers-wfe-in-load-balanced-sharepoint-farms/

0 replies

Be the first to reply!