cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

Attachment not showing attachments on task form?

Jump to solution

I've added the Attachments form control to the Task form, but when accessing a task it just shows an Add Attachment button. It does not list anything currently attached to the item. Am I doing something wrong here? Do I need to use a different control or a workaround to get current attachments to show on the Task form?

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Attachment not showing attachments on task form?

Jump to solution
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

This is because a task is a separate list item to the list item your attachment belongs to. Under the Workflow Tasks list, you will find your task and this illustrates it's a completely independent item in a different list.

If you wanted to just provide a link to the attachment I think you can add a calculated value and use the Attachments property under Item properties to retrieve the URL.

I haven't tested this, but give it a try and report back.

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

I wish. Unfortunately, all it returns is:

it seems really weird you have to build something custom to link to attachments from the item on the task item. 

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

I'll give it a look. It seems really weird you have to build something custom to link to attachments from the item on the task item. 

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

alternative is to use the Hyperlink control in View Mode and build the url yourself. 

The url will be "https://domain/sites/sitename/lists/listname/attachments/ID/attachmentname.doc

all the bold elements are obviously to be replaced by you, the ID is the list ID of the item that the attachment is associated with and then obviously the attachment name and extension. You could build this as a variable in your workflow and then reference the variable in your hyperlink field.

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

I'm liking this idea, but how would I gather the attachment name.extension into a variable? Especially in the case of multiple attachments?

I thought maybe I do a collection and set the value to a List Lookup for the Current Item field Attachments. When I do that, and then log to history I still only get the "True"message. 

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Sorry, should have detailed that.

Turning Attachments into working documents - Part Deux 

In this blog I've written we query the formData XML using the Query XML action. This allows us to store the filenames in a collection as you require.

Have a read through and let me know if you need anything explained further for you, but hopefully it should make sense which bits of the blog you need to use and adapt.

‌ attachments

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

So I figured, instead of doing all this, I'm just going to use a Rich Text field and link back to the original form. This is just way too much of a workaround to do something as simple as displaying attachments from the form. I love everything about Nintex Forms and Workflows so far but this seems like something Nintex would have implemented/fixed a long time ago.

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi NJ,

Could you please explain your solution for displaying attachments using the rich text field?

Thanks

0 Kudos