Cascading Dropdowns not working.

Badge +3

Hello everybody,

recently I got the requirement to add filtering to certain dropdowns based on another dropdowns value.

Since both of the dropdowns are list lookups and the second dropdown's source list has a lookup to the source list of the other one, I thought cascading dropdowns would be the best solution.

I quickly whipped up 3 test lists. ZID-Abteilungen (with information on our orgs divisions), ZID-Teams (with information about our orgs teams and a lookup to the ZID-Abteilungen list to identify the division they're part of) and Cascading Dropdown Test (a list to test the cascading dropdown functionality, as the name implies. It features a lookup to ZID-Abteilungen and ZID-Teams).

ZID-Abteilungen:

ZID-Teams

In the nintex form for the Cascading Dropdown Test I put two list-lookups (from the "list columns" section):

I left the lookup control for "ZID-Abteilungen" as it was and configured the control for "ZID-Teams" as follows:

I published the form and tested it. When I chose a division, the team-lookup was "disabled" (no options to chose from).

I was quite confused. I started looking around for solutions on the nintex community and found a couple of posts, none of which seemed to solve the problem. I then implemented a tip from Marian Hatala‌ to put a calculated value on the form to check whether everything works out. I configured the calculated value as follows: parseLookup(AbteilungLookup,true).

I then tried filtering the control (for the team lookup) by that value, but it still wouldn't work.

Last I tried to set the filtering criteria to "by specific value" and put one "IT-Solutions", I previewed the form and voilà, it worked. So it seems that the filtering should work, but not "by a control's value".

Does anyone maybe have a clue what might be happening here?

Kind regards,

Lucas

30 replies

Badge +4

Thanks, Lucas.  I see now that I missed other portions of the thread.  Thanks and I hope you'll be able to pinpoint the issue.

Badge +3

Hi Carolyn Blackledge,

No worries! I'm sorry if my reply was a bit harsh, but I was quite annoyed after working on this for several hours and getting set back even further everytime I thought I had advanced.

Badge +2

Lucas Münch,

Try entering the name of the List View used into the "Source view" field in the definition of your City form control (instead of leaving it blank).

I had a similar issue (but not exactly the same) with a cascading lookup not working and populating the Source View field fixed it for me.

No guarantees but easy enough to test!

Good luck!

Badge +3

Hi David Weyrick,

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately it didn't solve the issue (I really wish it'd be "some simplex fix" like this).

I believe the issue is with the filtering "by a control's value" specifically. Since filtering by a specified value works just fine and regular lookups work too.

Judging from all the advice I got from Marian Hatala‌, I think the problem won't be easily solved. Seeing as we might migrate/change to SP 2016 and Nintex 2016 soon (where we have already tested this on a test environment), I think I can safely stamp this issue as "unresolved until further notice" internaly.

Badge +1

Bit a long shot but do you have a root site defined for the site collection? We didn't and it was the cause of our cascading woes.