Solved

Restrict access to Nintex Forms and Nintex Workflow for Office 365, hide from ribbon?

• 27 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +8

Is there a way to restrict access per user to Nintex Forms and Nintex Workflow for Office 365, essentially hide it from ribbon above the list in SharePoint Online?

I ask this because I have a newly created application built in Nintex Forms for Office 365 and Nintex Workflow for Office 365.  Regular users have Read and Add permission on the list, but they do not see the buttons to open Nintex Forms or Nintex Workflow in design mode.  This is fine.  But our Admin users (members of HR Dept) have Full Control permissions so they can view all the forms that have been submitted.  Because they have Full Control, it displays in the ribbon the buttons for Nintex Forms and Nintex Workflow designers.

So far, they have not done anything bad with the access to the designers.  But they have been reported very slow page load times when they access the list page.  When I take away Full Control, they say the page loads much faster.  This leads me to believe that the big delay is caused by attempting to load the 2 buttons for Nintex Forms and Nintex Workflow designers.  I am looking for ways to improve page load time by disabling those 2 buttons.

icon

Best answer by v-tmasenko 28 January 2020, 16:18

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Do the members of your HR Dept require more than Read access to view all forms that have been submitted?
If so then create a custom permission level which includes only the required List and Site permissions (meaning not including "Add and Customize Pages"). Plus create a SharePoint group and associate it with your new custom permission level.
Badge +8

Yes, the HR Dept users need more than Read.

In the List Settings, I have item-level permissions limited so that users with Read access can only "Read items that were created by the user" and users with Edit access can only "Create items and edit items that were created by the user."

The only way I know how to overcome that is to give Full Control to the group of Admins, including HR Dept.  Is there another way?

Badge +8
I figured out the answer. Instead of Full Control, I was able to give the HR group "Approve" and "Read" permissions. This allowed them to view the items created by other users. I believe the "Approve" permission has "Override List Behaviors" which "override settings which allow users to read/edit only their own items."

This gives the access needed without displaying the buttons on the ribbon for Nintex Forms and Nintex Workflow. I could customize it a little more, and I think "Read" is redundant, but I'm going to leave as-is for now because it's working!