Split into subprocess based on XML element list.

• 18 January 2006
  • 2 replies

Badge +4
I have a process where I have to start an installation sub process based on a list of software packages. These packages are entered into an XML property field using a K2DataGrid in a previous step.

Question is, how can I do such a split?

Once split into subprocesses, how can I make sure that the next step in the process is only undertaken when all subprocess are finished?

I have the XML Schema defined and the boolean to indicate that the subprocess has been completed (which is passed as an I/O parameter to the subprocess)

TIA

2 replies

Badge +8
Are you using Synchronous IPC's for the subprocesses?
Are the subprocesses that you are starting all different processes (i.e. different process definitions), or are they the same process definition just with different data values? Can you supply some more information on the requirement?

An interesting point is that you could use multiple activity destinations and mutiple activity slots with a succeeding rule to achieve the functionality you require. When you add multiple destinations to an activity (and note, these destinations do not have to be Users - they can be anything you like), K2.net will execute the first event in the activity for each destination.

So, you can add a destination to the IPC activity for each subprocess you want to start. When K2.net executes the IPC event in the activity, it will execute the event for each destination. (You will need to customize the code here to pass the correct data values to the subprocess). If you need to wait for the subprocesses to finish, make sure that they are started Synchronously. Finally, add a succeeding rule to the activity to ensure that all the subprocesses you started have completed before allowing the activity to complete.

Does this make sense?

How many syncronous IPC processes do you expect to start off at once and how approximately many synchronous IPC processes in total will exist in the system at any given time?
Badge +4
I intend to use Synchronous IPCs for the subprocess, yes. They are all the same process with the same parameter list, only the data passed in can differ. However, one parameter is the destination person who should complete the process. The step after the subprocess must wait until all subprocess have completed. Additionally, I do not know how many destination people there are in advance or how many times that they may receive the subprocess but with differing parameter values.

Hope this makes it all a little clearer.

Graham

Have you an example of the solution you describe? I am not a verbal person as such, I comprehend better through pictures :cry: .