Is there any way to place the list item URL within an email notification in such a way as it is hidden to the user but can be see when viewing the HTML source of the notification within Outlook?

• 4 September 2014
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Greetings, Nintex Workflow Gurus!

Recently, several users began being flooded with email notifications from a Nintex workflow (identified by our custom corporate header/footer for Nintex workflow email notifications).  Many of these users began replying to the SharePoint farm account (the sender of the notifications by default), and my team was unaware of this workflow or who created/manages it.  After quite some time, we eventually located the workflow through the Nintex Workflow gallery in Central Administration; though, this was fairly painful as we have a lot of workflows.

In short, is there any way to place the list item URL within the footer of the email notification message template in such a way as it is hidden to the user but can be seen when viewing the HTML source of the notification within Outlook?  This would certainly help us to locate the list and, consequently, the workflow that sent the notification.  We tried to massage the HTML using the source editor on the footer template to include the list item URL as white text, but our version of Nintex for SP2007 attempts to purify the markup and the footer within the email simply displays a hyperlink in typical blue, underlined fashion - the CSS simply doesn't persist after saving the changes to the template; the property markup for the inserted list item URL reference reverts back to its original settings.

Thanks for reading and for any suggestions!

Nick

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Nick, I tried this and also came across the same issues you mentioned.  The best way I could figure out to include the item url, but not make it obvious to the user was to insert the link to the url in the header after the word "Workflow Notification", and make the display text a single period..  So unless you're really looking for it you probably won't notice it.  Here is the html that I have in the header.

<div align="right" width="100%"><span style="color: #26206b"><font face="Tahoma">Workflow Notification<span id="NWRTEReference1"><a class="ms-rtestate-write" contenteditable="false" onclick="selectThis(this);" href="javascript:void(0);" reftext="." link="true" reflink="{Common:ItemUrl}" style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline">.</a></span></font> <hr size="1" color="orange" style="height: 1px; color: orange"/></span></div>

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Could you use display: none within the html ?

Sent from my Windows Phone

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I tried that, but when you save the changes in the email template, it reverts it back to the way it was.  For some reason you can't manipulate the styling of the <a> tag.

Badge +1

Thanks, Dan.  I did try this and, unfortunately, Nintex would revert the markup to the way it was without preserving my custom CSS.

Badge +1

Brendan, thank you for your response.  I tried this when I arrived this AM and this works as expected.  I had tried something similar to this yesterday without luck, but I do appreciate your markup - that's what I needed.  I made one slight modification, and that was to use a space instead, and I'm hopeful this makes it entirely unnoticeable to the user.

<DIV align=right width="100%"><SPAN style="COLOR: #26206b"><FONT face="Trebuchet MS"><A contentEditable=false style="COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: none" href="javascript:void(0)" link="true" reflink="{Common:ItemUrl}" reftext=" "> </A><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Workflow Notification </SPAN><BR>

<HR color=red SIZE=1>

</FONT></SPAN></DIV>

Thanks,

Nick

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Didn't even think about making it a space.  That works nicely.  happy.png