cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

Are there examples anywhere on how to use certain actions? Like switch

Sometimes I get stuck with when/where I should put something say in a run if condition box, or what do you need to kick off a switch, or where to place a pending change action, or a loop. What is the best way to see examples of how people have built workflows using workflow actions?

My specific question is around a switch I am building. Do I need a run if before the switch and do I put the switch in the run if condition box?

Thanks.

Labels: (2)
16 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Are there examples anywhere on how to use certain actions? Like switch

you don't need to put your switch inside a run if (unless there are certain conditions where you don't want your switch to execute).

the help button on each action ribbon is so useful - tells you all you need to know about the action and I am pretty sure Frank Field​ has said that the training materials will be covering each of the actions over the coming months which should help.

Have you looked at any of the training materials/

Run if - will run stuff inside the container if the condition is true.  if condition is not true, will skip over the run if action and everything inside the container

Set a condition - will run actions on one branch if condition is true, and if not true will run actions on the other branch.

switch - multiple branches for multiple outcomes

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Thanks Cassy. My help button doesn't really do anything but tell me about SharePoint. It doesn't specify around the action I am using. I am learning what the actions do, but not always how to use them correctly. I created a workflow with a set condition, which worked awesome, but then realized I needed to run it differently for each frequency (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.) so I thought I should try using the switch. That's when I got stuck on how to execute the switch. I believe I need to run a query for items that are complete or pending then run the switch according to the frequency.

Can't wait for the training that Frank Field has planned. I have viewed several videos and training materials over the past few months. If I have one suggestion of this site, is that the training materials and navigations be a little easier for newbies like myself to use/find. It's really hard to find materials related to exactly what I am looking for sometimes due to my amateur phrases. That's why I post so much.

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Cassy Freeman​ was referring to the help page within the action settings screen.

Add an action to your workflow designer and double click on it. When the settings dialog box opens up you will see a Help icon in the ribbon and this is a help file specific to the action. The information in this is really useful, although may not go into enough detail about workflow logic.

Let us know whether you can find these and then whether this is of more use to you.

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Ryan

That's exactly what I did. Double clicked my commit changes box and hit the help icon in the top right corner. The screen shot is what pops up.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Capture.PNG

This one????

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Yep!

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Hi, Josh Shutts​!

Thanks for the shout out..  In the Training​ space, I've added a folder to categories, where we're going to roll out very short videos on all WF actions, starting w/ on-prem.  These are not going to go super deep, but they'll show you each action and what fields can be configured.  They'll be release as they're complete, no set schedule. But I want to just keeeeeeeeep trickling them out repeatedly.  This may not meet your needs, but give it a shot.  Also, remember all actions are listed in our Help files.​  So, be sure to visit those.  If you select the product you want to read, the next screen lists "actions" as an option to explore.

Hope that helps eventually!

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Then Cassy Freeman​ link will be the way forward for you. Not sure why that's the case for you as it's always worked for us. Perhaps the help file hasn't been installed?

Perhaps check with your IT guys and get them to fix this for you, or with Nintex direct if you have Farm access.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply