SmartForms SmartObject Update

• 11 September 2012
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Is there a way to update existing SmartObjects being used in a SmartForm or do you have to create new ones or redo your form?

6 replies

Badge +3

Hi Adisa

I'm not sure I entirely understand your question. Could you possibly elaborate a little? Perhaps provide me with an example please?

Badge +2

If you create a smartform from a smartobject and later update that smartobject with additional methods or make any changes to the existing methods I don't see a way of updating the smartobject to the smartform or rather seeing those updates K2 Designer for smartforms.

Badge +3

Hi Adisa

When extending a SmartObject by adding additional Fields and/or Methods, nothing that was built on a higher level should malfunction or break. The new Fields and Methods will be made available to the user, and you'll be able to extend the Views to include the additional items. E.g., when dragging a new Field to the canvas of a View, the data bindings of all existing Methods will be automatically updated in order to accommodate the new Field.

Renaming a Field and/or Method will simply update the name thereof in the higher level objects.

Removing a property should have the opposite effect as mentioned above. In other words, the Fields/Methods will no longer be available to the user, and the relevant data bindings will be severed. The Controls that were used for the Fields/Methods however, will not be removed.

Please note that the above only applies to simple scenario's. When deleting Fields/Methods In complex scenario's using multiple Expressions and/or complex Rules with Advanced Conditions and custom data bindings, there might be complications, although they should not be unrecoverable.

Badge +2

I understand that and it all makes sense but if you say.. add a column to a smart object that is used in a SmartForm I don't see or I haven't been able to find a way of getting the updated items in the SmartObject.  There seems to be no way of refreshing it once it is attached to a SmartObject.  If there isn't a way then that's ok.  I just didn't want to know that I was doing more work that what was need if there was a way to refresh it.

Badge +2

I also struggled with this, and it gave me a lot of issue's but I have found a possible workaround/solution.

The solutions for this item is the following:

In the tester tool on the K2 server you refresh your service.
Next you navigate in the treeview towards your smartobject and then select execute, then select a method to execute.
Open K2 Studio select your SmartObject and make the mapping and your done.

Propably their is a better way, but for the moment this works for me.

Badge +5

Thats what I do also.  I've realized that the Edit K2 smartobject in smartforms designer works great for this as well.

Feel free to drop me an email and I'll show you how it works.  bwillner@seacorp.com