Is Multiple selection possible in Choice-Dropdown

Badge +6

Hello,

In Nintex Form displayed Choice control as "Drop-Down Menu".  There are many option choices in Drop-Down menu.  It allows only one selection, however, as per the requirement multiple selection should be enabled.  Is multiple selection possible in Choice control - Drop-down option?

Here I have to make clear that, in SharePoint a Choice type column has created with display choice as "Drop-Down Menu".   I can not use other options like "Checkboxes" which allows multiple selection since there are many choice items in this column.  Please find the screen shot of SharePoint column settings.

190700_pastedImage_1.png

Cheers:)

Sunil

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

For multiple selection you can use Checklist or List with Multiple Selection. You cannot do a multiple selection using a drop down box.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Unfortunately no, not without doing something custom via some code.  Having a drop down checkbox option would be a great feature that I've wished was available several times in the past.   In fact you've inspired me to post the idea on User Voice - so  lets hope it gets some attention so Nintex implements it! Vote  it up at the following link:

Multi-select Drop Down – Customer Feedback for Nintex 

Badge +6

Hi Ryan,

The option for Checklist or List is not available with me either on SharePoint or in Nintex Form.  In SharePoint I get options only

DropDown

Radio Button

Chekboxes (for multiple selection)

If I use Checkboxes then all 25 choices will be shown on the form.  So option remain with me is only DropDown.

Thanks for the reply.

Sunil

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

What version of Nintex are you on?

It looks like 2010

http://help.nintex.com/en-us/nintex2010/help/#Forms/RootCategory/Controls/Nintex.Forms.Controls.Choice.htm%3FTocPath%3DN… 

List should be available to you in that version as with all versions I think.

Badge +6

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your support and useful tips.

We have Nintex 2010.

I tried Choice option by selecting from General Control and it gives option of List.  However, when I tried to assign list variable to "Connect to" the option disappear.  Please refer below two screen shots:

1.  Before assigning value to "Connect to"

191333_pastedImage_1.png

2.  Screen shot after assigning value to "Connect to".  test is a List column.  The Choice option is not available if "Connect to" value assigned.

191334_pastedImage_2.png

Sunil

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

What data type is your "test" column?

Badge +6

test column is Choice data type.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Ah right, I see. So when the control is connected to the choice column it will behave however set out by the SharePoint column. However, if you connect the control up to a single line of text column then you'll have full control over the...er...control!

Badge +6

Yes, connect to single line of text works.  Now I am getting multiple selection items as below :

abcd;#efghijk;#ybxlld

Is there any way to get items as : abcd;efghijk;ybxlld

or in multiple lines like

abcd

efghijk

ybxlld

Cheers:)

Sunil

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

You can use the parseLookup runtime function for that. 

Badge +6

I tried giving parseLookup runtime function in Form Variable, but it does not give desired result. the form variable setup is as below.  Please help.

192026_pastedImage_1.png

Product Name_SL contains vlaues as : abcd;#ekdkd;#jkfkfjkf;

and need value in Product Name_ML as :

abcd

ekdkd

jkfkfjkf

Sunil

Badge +3

Hey Ryan,

For the past two days, the same kind of issue is bothering me, I found your solution very useful. 

Thanks and Regards

Satya Sri Ram