cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

All approvers must approve a document and an approver should be able to add new approvers?

Back ground -

The requirement is to when a document is ready, the user should be able to define the approvers and submit the document for approvals and all approvers must approve and if any approver rejects the whole request is rejected.

I have done this using Flexi task by enabling 'creating individual tasks for all group members' and behaviour as 'All must agree on a specific outcome' and outcomes as 'Accept and Reject' and included an 'Other' branch. Everything works great.

Issue -

During the approval process, Before taking a decision (accept/reject) any approver should be able to add/update the document metadata field 'approvers' and of course end of the day all must approve. In the above scenario System should send an approval task for the new approver and in the workflow history they should be able to track all updated approvals.

I have achieved this using two workflows but I prefer to have only one so that the worklow history and task tracking is on one page and easy for document owners.

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: All approvers must approve a document and an approver should be able to add new approvers?

Harish,

Look at the add a delegate or delegate approvals.  That should allow the approver to select and send a notification to a new person.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Re: All approvers must approve a document and an approver should be able to add new approvers?

I have enabled delegation of tasks but I donot want the task to be delegated completly... I would like to provide the ability for any of the approver(s) to add an additional approver ...but again please note that all approvers must agree on a specific outcome (agree) then only over all workflow process should be considered as approved.

For example, in the worfklow if I have a flexi task assined for 3 approvers (IT manager, HR manager, Finance manager) with 'create individual tasks for members' enabled. Then if I go to the workflow history page I should see 3 individual tasks assigned for the 3 approvers mentioned in the flexi task. Let us assume IT manager and HR manager approved & completed their tasks but the Finance manger havenot responded and so overal workflow is still pending (as the condition is all must agree)... now finance manager if finds something unusual in the documents attached to the request and may (optional) like to involve Legal manager and so system should be flexible and should let the finance manager to add legal manager as the 4th approver and literally finance manager can wait until 4th manager approves his/her task and then only finance manager can take a decision... so in this case the task is not getting delegated, if the finance manager had delegated the task he cannot further participate in the process..

0 Kudos
ohrenstoepsel
Nintex Newbie

Maybe it works if you use a request data action before and ask for approvers. After done that add that data using a variable to the approvers field in the flexi task. Just an idea...

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Harish,

A thought here would be to rework your logic of the business process to use the flexi task appropriately.  Not what you want to hear, but it would involve lining your technical and busines processes to work efficiently together.

Let me know if you need any help with that.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thanks Victor. That is a good idea but technically the additional approver(s) cannot further add approver(s) to the process... and as the process sends multiple emails and expects multiple actions from approvers.. we could not implement this solution..

But I like the idea.. Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

In order to fulfill the requirement and also provide users the ability to see entire approval(s) history together..

Based on a suggestion from my colleague and also extending Victor's idea, we decided to test the following

Use run parallel actions

In branch one -

1. Customize flexi task form with three buttons, only two outcomes (Approve/Reject) and a panel section to optionally define additonal approvers..
    • Add save, submit and cancel buttons on flexi task form
    • Provide the ability for each approver(s) to add additional approver(s) (peoplepicker control tied to a variable) and click Save
    • If no additional approvers required then just select either approve/reject and click submit

In branch two -

1. Loop until the flexi task outcome achived
  2. within the loop have a runif conditon checking for the additionanl approvers variable
  3. Duplicate this variable and then nullify the variable value for further looping
  4. Assign tasks to new approver(s) based on duplicated variables

Yet to be tested.. we hope it works and I will keep you all posted.

Thanks,

Harish