cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

Additional action when a task is delegated

Hi everybody

I have a workflow which uses the Request data action to send a task to certain users. This task asks them to fill in a PO number. When the task isn't completed in 12 days, the task is delegated to their manager.

However, in the list on which this workflow runs, I also have a column Current actor to identify which person currently holds the active task. This is because this flow contains many more tasks that are set to different users. I use this column to create personalised views for all users where they can see the records for which they have pending tasks.

So when the task is delegated, the column Current actor needs to be updated to the manager as well. Otherwise, both the user and the manager will not see the correct records.

So my question is if there is a way to catch when a task is delegated so I can perform an additional action to update the Current actor column? I've thought about running a parallel action with a timer that starts with the task, but this doesn't feel like the best solution.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Additional action when a task is delegated

Hi Nils,

I am sure about your entire design, but the better option (when you want to give a view of all assigned tasks) is to give a view which filters on the "Task" lists or which ever Task list you have configured in the "request Data " action. 

There are also web parts available which can show you the all assigned tasks filtered by the name. I really doubt if they have a trigger when a delegation happens, but if your view were to always see the task list for an assigned task, then it will always get the latest one.

hth.

regards,

Shrini

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Hi Shrinivas

Thank you for your reply, but creating another view isn't what we want. You see, the current view is that of a list with requests for investments. A lot of other relevant columns are shown in this view, so we really need to work with this list.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Hi Nils,

The other option I could think of is (as you need a trigger based option when assignedto changes) is you create a workflow on the task list which triggers whenever the task list gets modified and in the workflow you can get hold of the listid/list item and assigned to/ if you think that the assigned to is changed. You could then modify your primary list (view) with the updated assigned to. you could use this approach if there are few updates on the task list and could live with a WF getting triggered for every update on the task list. (it might get triggered but will only process if there is a change in your assigned to field)

or you could with the same principle run some site workflow which queries the task list and updates your primary list if there is a change. you could select this if there are lot of updates on your task list and you don't want your wf to trigger on every update and want the process to poll only for a certain period (ie once every hour?)

hth.

Regards,

Shrini

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Hi Shrini

That's actually a very good idea, I didn't realise I could create a workflow that triggers on changes in the task list as well. Will definitively give this a try.

Kind regards

Nils

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply