cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Adding Attachments in Request Data Task

Hello,

I was asked if I could create a place for an approver in my workflow to be able to upload and save documents into SharePoint using their approval task. Right now, we're using the Request Data task configured for the approver to select "Yes" stating that they've acknowledged a document. I can't seem to figure out how to allow the approver to upload their own documents at this time to be saved in SharePoint. Can anyone help point me in the right direction here? Thanks!

Alex

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Adding Attachments in Request Data Task

Update: I found out how to attach files, but how can I chose where that file is to be saved within SharePoint?

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Here is another thread having to do with this topic, with a lot of good advice, maybe it'll help you out a bit getting started:

Is it possible to use a Nintex workflow in SharePoint to copy/move an attachment from an item in lis...

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply! If I'm understanding correctly, the only way to upload a workflow attachment to SharePoint is by using the custom action found in the above link? It seems when the task manager attaches a document during their approval task, that document is only saved as a URL in a workflow variable of your choosing. That URL then needs to be extracted using the custom action and dropped into SharePoint. Am I on the correct path here? I'm very new to Nintex so my understanding may be limited. Any assistance is much appreciated!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Alex,

It is not the only way to do this, but the custom action is certainly one way.   Do you want this attachment to end up in a specific library?  Here is another way from that thread in which someone solved this problem - of course in this example he is moving the attachment to a library, and then from the library to a list.  What you need to accomplish may be more simple if you want to only move it to a library:

"I created a workflow on the Workflow tasks list to copy the attachments and list ID to a temporary library.

Then I created a workflow on the Temporary library items with a webservice AddAttachment that copies the document to the List Item and then deletes the document from the temporary library."

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Alex,

What I am suggesting above boils down to this:

You will have two workflows, one on the Workflow Tasks list and the other will be your Approval Workflow where the attachment is actually being added.

1) Go to Site Contents and find your list called "Workflow Tasks". 

2) Create a workflow on this list that consists of the the Copy to Sharepoint action and in its configuration put the URL to the document library where you will want the attachment stored.

3) *For testing only* and so that you better understand the process that is taking place step by step, go to "Workflow Settings" from the workflow designer and select the option:

Enable workflow to start from the item menu 

1) Now, run your Approval workflow and add an attachment.

2) Complete the approval task.

3) Go to the Workflow Tasks list and find that task - click on the "..." and select the workflow that you created to run against the task and start it.

4) Visit your document library, where the attachment should now exist as a document therein.

Once you have this in place, you can automate the step instead of manually launching the workflow.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Alex,

Have you got to solve this issue ?

I´m also trying to figure out how to do it... but I haven´t found anything yet.

Chees,

Juliano

0 Kudos
amiri_b
Nintex Newbie

To All that have the same question,

you can simply grab the attached document and move them to a new folder inside document library in which you specified for it! then you are able to let all involved staff to view them, comment on them, etc. ! you can even set specific permission on the folder so that it is isolated from others. just get the idea..

the actions you need is like bellow :

Build String : {Common:WebUrl}/{WorkflowVariable:TargetDestination}/{ItemProperty:RequestID}

WebUrl always address the current site/subsite in which your list/docLIB workflow is running.

the string above will create an address like this : http://sharepoint/department/doclibName/FolderName

other actions are quiet self explained. create folder, creates a folder! not surprised! right?
"copy to sharepoint" action copies attached form documents to the created fodler

"Set Permission" simply sets permissions! once again, no surprise!

hope this helps you. don't forget to like and Mark as HelpFull if this helped you.

Cheers,

Behy

0 Kudos