Troubleshhoting tips?

Badge +6

Hi,

I am getting this error when I try to submit a form. Does anyone have any tips on how to troubleshoot?

"Invalid data has been used to update the list item. The field you are trying to update may be read only."

Thanks

11 replies

Badge +6

Jason,

Double check that your data types on your form match your list column data type and that you are not trying to insert something unexpected - for example a blank space into an integer field.

P.S. How did you go with your Query XML issue?

Regard,

Mark

Badge +6

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am still not finding the issue with this one. Driving me mad happy.png

I have logged a call for the XML Query. They are looking at it as we speak.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

In your form, are you using Javascript to update a dropdown list ?

Badge +6

Hi,

I have deleted all custom script so that I could pinpoint the issue. Even removed all my rules.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Usually this error occurs around a lookup field. People fields are also considered lookup fields. Are you using one of these on your form?

Badge +6

Jason,

Have you tried disabling fields on the form individually to see which column is potentially causing the issue. I would try that. It still sounds like one field does not like the data it is receiving from the form. Divide and conquer!

Cheers,

Mark

Badge +6

Interestingly enough, while debugging, I now get this message. The controls mentioned are both checkboxes linked to a Yes/No column

116599_pastedImage_0.png

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

do you have calculated values in your form ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I remember when disabling controls on SPD forms, I got this same message. It was because it was sending in null values for the fields.

Badge +6

I seem to have resolved the issue. I just wanted to provide an overview of the problem as my issue may be relatively unique:

The original solution was written for an on-premises application. We then migrated to O365 and utilised as many of the original forms and workflows as possible.

The primary issue we faced with the forms was that we had to change the Request Review activity to an Assign A Task activity. I then used the Task form that is part of the activity to build the same forms. However, I imported my existing forms and this seemed to be fine after I added the Task Outcomes to the form. I checked all the fields/controls and all the connections appeared to be in order.

When I received the error, I went through a process of trial and error by removing various controls until I identified the control that was causing the issue. It was a check box control linked to a Yes/No column. The connection appeared to be fine.

I decided to delete the control and then drag it onto the form again from the List Columns.

After I re-published, it seemed to have resolved the error.

Thanks to everyone for the input...

Badge +6

This error was due to a business rule that is referring to the field that was causing my original error.