StartWorkflowOnListItem Web Service not passing variables

Badge +2

I am using the StartWorkflowOnListItem web service to start a child workflow. In my tests, the configuration below works correctly and starts the child workflow.

workflow 1.jpg

When I check the child workflow, all the variables that I am passing through AssociationData (see below) are empty. 

workflow 3.jpg

The steps I have taken:

1. Build String action to create the AssociationData variable. The string I am using is:

workflow 2.jpg

2. All variables on the child workflow are on the start form

3. Triple checked all the spelling

4. Didn't work with or without {TextStart}{TextEnd}

5. Most importantly, if I just send one variable (I tested with <passCampus>) it works. If I try to send more than one variable, all are empty on the child workflow.

I have 13 variables that I am trying to pass to the child workflow (for assigning tasks). I'm stumped. Is there a limit? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

Amy

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Some recommendations:

1)Adding 1 by 1

if passCampus works, will it work adding also another variable passCampus2 (Also with a hardcoded value)?

If passCampus works, I'll begin to add 1+ variable, and so on, until detect the variable that is causing the problem ( if it is the problem).

2)Values Generated.

Try to log what are the values on your variable, perhaps some value is malformatting your entire XML

3)Starting the workflow in a different way

You could start your "MidMonth Time Approval" Workflow just adding a new column on "FT Timesheet" List named "startWFMMTA" and update that column from your current workflow.

Badge +2

Thanks Fernando Hunth!! I took the time to add them back in 1 by 1 and found that it was an ampersand in one of the variables.

Beware of ampersands in variables!! wink.png

Thanks again!

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

great!

Badge +9

Did it work with or without the {TextStart}{TextEnd}?

Is it a List or Site Workflow?

Badge +9

Also are the names exactly the same in the workflow you started?

Badge +9

Found my problem.

A little checkbox call "Encode Inserted Data" need to be checked. Then my parameters go on their merry way.